Technical Fiat Panda 169 Not starting

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Panda 169 Not starting

Here's a video from my Fiat Panda 169 from 2004.

Yesterday it started fine. I drove 25km to work and back home later that day. Today, it's making this sound: streamable. com/evm8gr

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

Kind regards,
Mark

Starter motors not engaging with the flywheel

Check the engine turns over freely.

Should jump start okay. May kickstart it working again temporarily

You could try tapping the starter motor gently

Also worth checking the starter motor is secure

Other than that is starter motor off and inspect the motor and flywheel teeth

Last edited:
if i was to hazard a guess. Clutch dust has jammed the mechanism so when the solenoid is energised the starter motor gear can't slide

probably will just need cleaning. Don't oil or WD40 as over time it will attract clutch dust.

Hey Koalar,

Your tips are much appreciated.

I gave the starter a few bangs with a hammer. Eventually the car started. I had to keep the gas pressed in for a bit to keep the motor running else it would turn off again.

Motor was sounding like a race car. After a minute or so the engine sounded like a normal engine and I was able to start it over and over again without any problems.

My take on this: You're thought of the solenoid being stuck seems right. Hitting it with the hammer made it slide back, so the starter could spin up and the solenoid could push the gear into the flywheel.

The racecar sound for a minute, was that because the gear of the starter didn't slide back, so it was turning with the running engine?

Tomorrow I'll go to the garage and will probably just have the starter motor cleaned or replaced.

Again, thanks for the help!

Hey Koalar,

Your tips are much appreciated.

I gave the starter a few bangs with a hammer. Eventually the car started. I had to keep the gas pressed in for a bit to keep the motor running else it would turn off again.

Motor was sounding like a race car. After a minute or so the engine sounded like a normal engine and I was able to start it over and over again without any problems.

My take on this: You're thought of the solenoid being stuck seems right. Hitting it with the hammer made it slide back, so the starter could spin up and the solenoid could push the gear into the flywheel.

The racecar sound for a minute, was that because the gear of the starter didn't slide back, so it was turning with the running engine?

Tomorrow I'll go to the garage and will probably just have the starter motor cleaned or replaced.

Again, thanks for the help!
correct (y)

Cleaned should be enough :)
correct (y)

well done in getting it going

Unfortunately a garage is unlikely to clean as it both time consuming and they have to warranty the work

here in the UK a third party new starter motor is around £30 without trade discount

one of the easier jobs, Just 2 bolts and a nut. On a garage lift it shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour.

Last edited:
Back