Technical Fiat panda 169 2010 blower resistor

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat panda 169 2010 blower resistor

Simo88ist

Hello everyone,
I have to replace the green resistor you see in the picture.
Has anyone had my own problems?
How can I remove it?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210207-110021131 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20210207-110021131 (1).jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 168
  • P_20200626_150152.jpg
    P_20200626_150152.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 104
yes

they fail

when they do the blower will only work on max

you need a flexible shaft drive to remove. I undid one for fun. I tied some string near the socket and used both hands to guide the socket straight onto the nut which is just viable with a Good light.

there's a picture on here of the setup. I will try and dig it out latter

It's located at the top of the heater air intake above the steering motor. It's an absolute pig to reach. Some people have done it. I started, removed access panels etc and gave up. I'm not short of sockets, extensions, flexible drives, etc, but simply could not reach the damn thing. I had a go with a cheap motor speed controller but that also failed to work.

It sounds mad but its probably easier to remove the plastic dash, then you can reach down to swap the resistor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-G6rwnRQFI&t=3s

Another option would be to site the resistor somewhere more convenient and use a small computer cooling fan to keep it cool. Then "all" you have to do is find the wires which look to be tucked well out of reach.

Last edited:
in my case the blower does not work only at level 1

there ground side switched

needs current flow for voltage measurement

at the switch they will all measure 12v expect the ground

As you switch each resistor in there will a voltage drop

so if you turn the switch to next to max one of the wires will drop to say 10V the rest will stay on 12V and ground. then the next position another will drop to 8v and so on

I made up the volts

if there is a voltage drop on one of the cables at minimum the problem will be the blower

if there isnt another voltage drop at minimum the problem will be the switch, cabling or resistor pack.

The resistor pack is air cooled and thermal protected. Its not the fuse thats gone otherwise it would only work on maximum

if the resistor pack has gone its nearly always due to the blower stalling. Leaves, parking ticket or the motor itself.

there ground side switched

needs current flow for voltage measurement

at the switch they will all measure 12v expect the ground

As you switch each resistor in there will a voltage drop

so if you turn the switch to next to max one of the wires will drop to say 10V the rest will stay on 12V and ground. then the next position another will drop to 8v and so on

I made up the volts

if there is a voltage drop on one of the cables at minimum the problem will be the blower

if there isnt another voltage drop at minimum the problem will be the switch, cabling or resistor pack.

The resistor pack is air cooled and thermal protected. Its not the fuse thats gone otherwise it would only work on maximum

if the resistor pack has gone its nearly always due to the blower stalling. Leaves, parking ticket or the motor itself.

in this case the problem is more complex than simply changing the resistor

in this case the problem is more complex than simply changing the resistor

could be easier and be just the switch

but without measuring it like playing parts darts

officially your suppose to undo the steering column to give better access

but can be done without without with the flex drive.

and the pack is only a few quid.

if it was me. I would start with blower. Its got reduced volts suppling it at minimum. Therefore less power. If you measure the volts at the connector to ground you should see it go up and down as the switch is turned. If you careful you can power it up loose and see if there's any run out. Plus its not time wasted as if it need a resistor pack you should still check the blower is clean

doesn't look like access is great unfortunately. The fiat 500 just and I mean just wiggles out without undoing anything else. I have never tried the Panda

Fiat officially recommends taking the car to pieces. I wager its also just possible. Someone did one last weekend you could message them.

Last edited:
with this its a 10 minute job. I just did it for fun

just guide it straight onto the nut

i can't remember if its better to disconnect the connector First with two long bladed screwdrivers or leave it until its loose

Nice idea my flexi drive is not "that" flexi so will have to see what I can find.

For the OP find the heater fan motor and jump some power and earth direct from the battery. A length of check dual core flex will do nicely.

Nice idea my flexi drive is not "that" flexi so will have to see what I can find.

For the OP find the heater fan motor and jump some power and earth direct from the battery. A length of check dual core flex will do nicely.

why jumper ?

everything is working except for the lowest setting

If you don't know what your doing and identify the cables properly its one of the quickest ways to a very expensive repair.

why jumper ?

That's odd for a start. Full speed = no resistors.

The easiest way to test the motor is to unplug it and put power direct to it. It takes a few minutes and proves the motor is ok. The resistor or switch circuits can be tested with test meters in the normal way. But it's all pointless if the motor is faulty.

That's odd for a start. Full speed = no resistors.

The easiest way to test the motor is to unplug it and put power direct to it. It takes a few minutes and proves the motor is ok. The resistor or switch circuits can be tested with test meters in the normal way. But it's all pointless if the motor is faulty.

I give up

the motor spins on full power

in my case the blower does not work only at level 1
This sentence is not clear in its meaning. My first thoughts were that this meant that the fan only worked at the lowest setting.
However, I think koalar has interpreted it correctly, in that it works on 2, 3 & 4, but not the lowest setting. In that case, fan motor is fine, resistor is prime suspect.

This sentence is not clear in its meaning. My first thoughts were that this meant that the fan only worked at the lowest setting.
However, I think koalar has interpreted it correctly, in that it works on 2, 3 & 4, but not the lowest setting. In that case, fan motor is fine, resistor is prime suspect.

sorry ^^, the correct sentence is "everything is working except for the lowest setting"

I will try to replace the resistor :)

Short of dismantling the car, I tried everything I could think of to reach mine. But I did not have a super flex drive as suggested by Koalar. That with the cord to pull it in line is a great idea.

Back