General fiat panda 1.2 dynamic airlock

Currently reading:
General fiat panda 1.2 dynamic airlock

nickmeasures

Hi have an 03 panda 1.2 dynamic. Recently it went into my local garage for new brake rear cylinders, front pads and rear shoes. A couple of days after getting it back heard a trickling water sound from behind the dash and took it back in case it was the brakes. The garage has assured me its not the brakes and its just an airlock in the heater matrix and have told me to leave the heater on full blast radiator cap off with the engine running and it should solve it. I was a bit worried it might be head gasket but its fine no water in the oil. I was just wondering if this is the correct way to get rid of an airlock or do i have to bleed the system another way?

The mechanic should know better unless he's looking for the job of fixing your head gasket.

Look at the back of the engine bay just below the passenger (UK) side wiper and you will see the coolant pipe which goes to the heater. It has a little plastic screw that will bleed air out of the system. Do it with engine not running a least 5 minute after you've switched off so that bubbles can rise to the top.

Make sure the coolant level is always at maximum in the expansion bottle. Mine is at the side of the radiator and hard to read. Shine a bright torch from the other side and you will see the coolant level.

You then need to find the leak.
Radiator
Steel pipe under exhaust manifold at front of engine
Water pump seal
hose clamps
are a few places to look

Last edited:
Back