General Fiat panda 08

Currently reading:
General Fiat panda 08

Jay1980

Hi everyone,

This has probably been covered but i bought my wife a fiat panda 08 reg.
The stereo won’t come on or turn off with the ignition any ideas why??

It has a blaupunkt stereo in but think it’s for a newer car would that make a difference??

Some Pandas came with a full size radio, which was factory fit, and tied into the vehicle computer, so won't work in another car unless codes are entered.
Other Pandas came without, but were usually fitted with a standard size unit, either by Fiat, or the dealer prior to sale. Those should work properly.
A few, might have been delivered without a stereo, or had one replaced later. These are often wired incorrectly.
Older vehicles used multiple wires in the power plug, one was permanent live, another was ignition switched live, plus others for earth, electric aerial, speed input (nav), reverse (nav) and lighting (display dimming).
These Pandas only have 4 wires to the stereo from the car. These are permanent live and earth, plu stwo tiny wires which are the CanBus data cables. These two must not be connected to aftermarket stereos, but often are. Mostly the wires do nothing, but worst case is they can damage the car body computer. With the factory stereo, the CanBus privides signals for lights, speed, reverse, and ignition on/off.
My guess, and this is usually the case, is that the stereo is aftermarket, and only the permanent feed and earth are connected, so there is no ignition connection.
To do the job properly, a connector module should be used, like this one: https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CAN-01.3
That interprets the CanBus signals and sends analogue signals to the head unit, giving ignition on/off and lighting signals, as well as speed and reverse if required. (I've had one of those adaptors for years, previously fitted in various Corsas, two Fiat 500s, and then my Panda since 2010.) Expensive, but oes the job properly.
Many people opt to save money, and take an ignition feed from the 12v socket, if fitted.

If the CanBus wires are connected to the head unit, they need to be disconnected, and insulated.

If it's the original radio, turning it on before switching on the ignition will keep it playing for 20 minutes after switching off ignition and come on the next time you switch ignition on.
All covered in the manual and has been on fiat's for years.

gr J

You could check fuse 35 and 39 in the inside fuse box,
if it's the same as mine a 06 car pressing menu on the radio
then moving trough the menu with the up arrows you should
find I think ignition timer or something like that this can be changed
to 20 min or off maybe worth switching this see if it helps.
Be sure you have the radio code before pulling the fuses just in case.

Last edited:
Back