Fiat grande punto

Currently reading:
Fiat grande punto

Fialfa

Hi I’m in a mk2 punto which I will be giving to a family member and I like the grande punto pref the 1.2 , i really like how it looks and seems practical but ive heard mixed views on it and in some cases the mk2 is dearer than the odd older version of it in the small ads , is it really that bad or are there people out there perfectly happy with one ?I’d be looking at an earlier model 06 to 09

My ex had a 1.2 GP and it felt woefully underpowered, mechanically it shares it's underpinnings with the Corsa and MiTo, so spares are plentiful. They're pleasant to drive though, and at that age as long as everything works there's no reason to think it wouldn't continue to do so as long as well maintained.

Hi.
I had a few mk2 1242's

Then after marea estates bought a 2007 gp.. but with the 1248cc diesel

To me.. its bigger (safer) quieter.. but they have plenty of electrical isdues.. and its a big car for the 1.2 motor.

Panda might be a better runsround.

What dort of driving do you do.

My mj does an easy 15 mins each way on bachroads.

Then 110 miles each way at weekends

Perfect for this..

But harder to park..and would be thirstier than the mk2..as bigger tyres..heavier.. etc

Where are you based?

Charlie

I had a Punto Mk2 Abarth with the (much) bigger engine and 130bhp. To be fair that was more than enough but much less than 100bhp would be tedious to drive.

I now have the Panda 100HP which is quick (obviously) when you wind it up but in normal driving the 60bhp Panda Dynamic is very close behind and has a much better ride to boot. I do think the 1.2 would be struggling in a Grande Punto.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies , I am tempted to go back to Alfa but after driving a mk2 for a while again I really like the simplicity of everything in the mk2 , must be my age, I absolutely hate the facelifted mk2 just awful so I’m thinking a mint low mile mk2 or probably a grand punto to modern it up a bit , not sure I see a reason to avoid the grand they did a seriously good job with the body , enough to keep me away from Alfa hopefully

Ive had a 2012 from new.. only issues in 6 years and 50k.. bad factory bumper paint and 2 faded indicator bulbs.

My experience has always been:

Fiat engineer fair cars.. the line build can be a little patchy.. but once the 1st owner has got the niggles sorted under warranty.. they are good.

90% of issues I have found with older purchases.. somebody has been in there bodging before me.. :(

Oh I think that’s it I’m just going to pick up a grande punto , I think I’ll keep away from Alfa for now been there done that !! And the mk2 staying in the family

Ive had a 2012 from new.. only issues in 6 years and 50k.. bad factory bumper paint and 2 faded indicator bulbs.

My experience has always been:

Fiat engineer fair cars.. the line build can be a little patchy.. but once the 1st owner has got the niggles sorted under warranty.. they are good.

90% of issues I have found with older purchases.. somebody has been in there bodging before me.. :(
That was the cause of most of the issue's with my 500 bolt and clamp's not being put back on right
And poor general maintenance brake's left to get rusted
Other then that general wear socks a wishbone bush

I’ve had 2 mk2s the 1.3 diesel and the 1.9 multijet (hgt) Diesel, both great little cars, I bought a 1.4 “sport” grande and absolutely hated it, cheap and nasty blocky interior, under powered engine that was gutless (and this was the 1.4 8v not the 1.2 which is even worse) the suspension wallows and rolls around corners.
It totally put me off any more puntos (and I’d had a lot of them)

I bought a brand new car and moved away from fiat, but last year I saw an ad for a 2011 punto evo with the 1.6 Diesel engine 120hp and top spec in terms of luxury, leather, climate control cruise control. I wouldn’t go as far as to say I love it, but it’s a million times better than the grande better interior, better suspensions better engine. Handles so much better because it’s a proper sporting model disc brakes all round much stiffer roll bars big 17 inch wheels.
The main down side is it looses its charm and simplicity over something like a mk2, it’s a much more complicated car but then as cars got newer they became more complicated.

I did drive a 2017 VW polo a year or two back and that reminded me so much of my mk2 puntos, same simplicity, simple design inside the cabin and similar seating position and feel when driving. If you want a new and upgraded mark 2 punto my recommendation would weirdly be a mk5 polo. If you’re dedicated to the fiat brand then I’d recommend a later model evo which are getting much cheaper now and come with some better engine options than the grande

I've owned a Grande Punto for nearly 5 and a half years, top spec 1.4 8v. Very comfy, goes plenty well enough for a runaround, surprisingly economical on longer runs, good kit. If you find a well looked after example with sensible mileage, I'd thoroughly recommend it. I have no intention of parting with mine until I have to, and ideally, I'd love to find a very late model Punto to replace it.

I’ve always liked Italian cars and the punto is a great little car , I’ve had a few 1.2 8vs now , you get sick and tired of all the bull with the bigger machines out there , you’re almost afraid to go over a bump in case your back to diagnostics in an hour , their gone too fragile and roads are tough where I am , however while looking through small adds my eyes were drawn to how cheap big comfy pug 407s and Citroen c5s are , was even contemplating another Citroen xm other day , I seem to have a cycle of sensible fun small no bull Italian and then right back to a nightmare Italian/french banger, lord knows how I’ve stayed out of the Alfa 159 , even I’m not that stupid , hopefully

Last edited:
Think il keep the mk2 and run a Citroen c5 or pug 407 for comfort / those 407s very cheap!!!

I have a 1.4 8v eleganza all extras custom exhaust performance filter goes proper well just done coilovers n tyres totally different car rips round a corner now and 0 understeer

Also, due to badge snobbery, I would imagine a well maintained 159 would be a much better purchase than a german blandmobile for the same money, not to mention umpteen times nicer. [emoji846] My closest friend has a fairly early Brera 2.4, and that has served him well over the last 5 years.

Back