Technical Fiat GP t jet cooling fan issue.

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat GP t jet cooling fan issue.

keepfixinit

Bought the car cheap with a short mot, needing a good valet and very stiff to get it into all gear.

2008 car with 103k miles on it.

Fixed the gear selector arm which was just seized so no problem there.

Car drives really well! Plenty of power from the little turbo engine.

It went though the mot no problem just a few very minor advisories but it started to boil over and steamed like a kettle as the mot tester got out too go in the office to get my mot certificate.

Saw the cooling fan didn’t kick in at all! The temp gauge is working normally it goes up gradually and sits in the middle as I’d expect but creeps up if it idles long enough into the red.

Heater blows hot as it should.

Turned the engine off and let it cool down and then drove it home and it didn’t miss a beat and no sludge on the oil cap or dip stick.

It still drives lovely like nothing happened but letting it idle for too long results in the temp creeping up past middle on the gauge and it will boil over again I haven’t let it since the mot.

I’ve wired the fan directly to the battery and it works fine so the fan is ok.

I’ve had the cooling fan resistor out and found it’s corroded and pretty F’ed so I’ve ordered one.

The resistor was out of the car when I was having a look at the relays in the fuse box and I started to pull one up and the fan kicked in ?*♂️ I pulled it all the way out and put it back but I can’t get the fan to come on again no matter what I do to the relay, Why I don’t know, I got a couple of resistors from the scrappy and fitted them but still nothing.

I’ve had the fuse box out and the big multi plugs going into it off and checked them all for corrosion and all are clean and shiny.
I can see the female plugs on the fuse box look ok but I can’t tell if one or more have opened up so the relay can’t make contact.

So to get to the point can anyone point me in the right direction to get the cooling fan to work when it’s supposed too? What should I be looking at? I hope it’s not a wiring fault as I’m just no good at finding broken wires and whatnot but if anyone can help me at all I’d be so grateful!
I bought the car with the intention to mot it, give it a FULL service (timing belt and the rest) and give it to my sister but I’m not going to spend my time and money on the parts if the car won’t be able to idle in traffic because knowing my sister she will forget and cook the head! Lol I know to turn it off in traffic and have the heater on hot full blast lol.
Thanks guys!

It turned out to be the cooling fan resistor. Fitted the new one from eBay £7.70 and the fan kicks in like it should.

Back