Technical Fiat Ducato Gasoline 1988 2L lost all power.

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Ducato Gasoline 1988 2L lost all power.

mixmaster

Come home from a hike yesterday where I had driven a total of 1170km.
But when I had two miles left something strange happened.

Just in there I was on my way up a long hill. Was it like the engine suddenly lost all its power.
The rest of the way home it just jumped it departed and I got max 40kmh on straight road.

It may be mentioned that I was on my way to going emty on gasoline. So the car just did make it to the gas station 2km away.
But after I had filled up with gasoline. It was the same all the way home.

I have done this afterwards:
I have read that if you have a rusty tank. Can you get the grumble that lies in the bottom of the tank into the filter. So that it gets sealed and it will be difficult to get fuel enough.
So today I changed the filter. The previous one was so tight that I had to make an effort to blow it through.

But the car is no better. If I take the gas throttle to the bottom, the engine get killed. At idle, it goes ok.
When I'm having on a little choke. The engine is alive again and draws almost as before. But do not think there's anything I'll drive on in the long run. So I have to fix this.

Any ideas? It's a relatively simple engine to be handled with. Since it goes well with a little choke. The first thing I think is that it does not get enough gasoline. Or, is there any crap in the nozzle?

But there may be something else? Ignition etc?

Anyone who can help me a little on the right track? It was strange that it happened so soon. Not sure that I has anything to do with I was on my way to running out of fuel?

This ducato is on a Hobby550 AK Motorhome.

Nope. Can something just happen so fast with the Air filter. It went from Normal to this in only 0,5seconds.

I'm thinking that it does not get enough gasoline. When it goes normal witt a little choke. Then you give it less air and more gas.

Check the strainer in the tank:
197801.jpg

Is there actually another strainer in the tank on these? Before the gas pump and the gas filter before the carburator?

Is there actually another strainer in the tank on these? Before the gas pump and the gas filter before the carburator?

Yes and in 99.99% of other vehicles I even posted a picture for you.

im assuming we are talking the petrol engine here if 1988 i would think 1750cc even if 1970cc which came later its basicly the same engine with the back to front carburetter because they were originally designed as LHD so engine wrong way round for RHD which means on heavy hills carb can deliver, a lean mix, so i would agree with your findings so far what you need to do is take the carb completely off remove main jets and clean as i suspect thats your problem but you may have dragged some more crap into the carb because of running fuel so low so use a air line to on low pressure to blow out the carb ports then replace main jets and reassemble and refit. so lesson learnt i hope in future keep a minimum of quarter tank full. hope this helps.

im assuming we are talking the petrol engine here if 1988 i would think 1750cc even if 1970cc which came later its basicly the same engine with the back to front carburetter because they were originally designed as LHD so engine wrong way round for RHD which means on heavy hills carb can deliver, a lean mix, so i would agree with your findings so far what you need to do is take the carb completely off remove main jets and clean as i suspect thats your problem but you may have dragged some more crap into the carb because of running fuel so low so use a air line to on low pressure to blow out the carb ports then replace main jets and reassemble and refit. so lesson learnt i hope in future keep a minimum of quarter tank full. hope this helps.
Thank you very much.You¨re the man jontee61. I just removed the air inlet to te carb. removed the injector noccle and blew the system clear with compressed air. And everything is back at normal.

I really love this engine. it is so simple like a moped. Good space and you only got some simple things to worry about. Why do they not make engines like this anymore. It can easylly be fixed on the go. You only need some duct tape, strips, leatherman, and a pantyhose to work as a air or fuel filter and you¨re saved.

You fixed my problem, and should be honored. Thank you very much! You saved my holliday :)

I would still consider cleaning out the tank when you get home 29 years can accumulate all sort in your tank.

Back