Technical Fiat ducato autotrail 2006 central locking

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat ducato autotrail 2006 central locking

Welsh Wizard

Hi can someone help,
I bought my motorhome early this year and I have 2 sets of keys for the ignition and 2 little fobs with red and green buttons on. On looking on the back it says Scorpion? I'm guessing this is an alarm system or is it something to do with central locking. When I press the fob the led light on the fob comes on but nothing happens also when I put the ignition key in the door and turn it all the locks open. Am I right by saying this van should have a key fob to open and close the doors or didn't the fiat ducato didn't have central locking in 2006. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. Many thanks in advance
Richard.

Hi Andy, No correct there are no buttons on the ignition key. I'm totally quizzed whether this van should have central locking on the key

My 2006 x244 Ducato, same base model, has central locking of the cab doors only. Operated by key in the drivers door.
The habitation door has no facility for this on mine.
An alarm has, at some point, been fitted but I have no controls for it.

My 2006 x244 Ducato, same base model, has central locking of the cab doors only. Operated by key in the drivers door.
The habitation door has no facility for this on mine.
An alarm has, at some point, been fitted but I have no controls for it.
Thank you for the information Ednic 👍

Welsh Wizard,

You are confusing central locking and remote the remote operation of central locking.

Central locking is the system whereby placing the key in a door lock and turning it, operates all connected door locks.

Remote operation is an extra, whereby the locking/unlocking can be performed remotely from a key or alarm fob.

Both central locking, and remote operation via the Fiat key fob were available as options well prior to 2006. In this connection 2006 was a model changeover year, and you have not stated whether you have the earlier x244, or the later x250 version. Central locking implementation differs between versions.

It is my understanding that the UK insurance "industry" does not give an adequate rating to the Fiat alarm option. Hence UK converters order the central locking option, but not the Fiat alarm/remote control option. Thatcham approved alarm systems are fitted on conversion by the converter, and are connected to the vehicle wiring to provide the remote locking and immobiliser? functions. The Scorpion fobs to which you refer are for such an aftermarket alarm system.

It seems that your vehicle is a "C" class whereby the original Fiat cab doors are retained. The habitation door is part of the conversion. The fitting of central locking components to the habitation door, and linking to the cab system would perhaps be an option which may not have been adopted.

Your Scorpion alarm fobs will require a battery in order to function. These batteries, as in any other remote fob will require regular replacement.

Welsh Wizard,

You are confusing central locking and remote the remote operation of central locking.

Central locking is the system whereby placing the key in a door lock and turning it, operates all connected door locks.

Remote operation is an extra, whereby the locking/unlocking can be performed remotely from a key or alarm fob.

Both central locking, and remote operation via the Fiat key fob were available as options well prior to 2006. In this connection 2006 was a model changeover year, and you have not stated whether you have the earlier x244, or the later x250 version. Central locking implementation differs between versions.

It is my understanding that the UK insurance "industry" does not give an adequate rating to the Fiat alarm option. Hence UK converters order the central locking option, but not the Fiat alarm/remote control option. Thatcham approved alarm systems are fitted on conversion by the converter, and are connected to the vehicle wiring to provide the remote locking and immobiliser? functions. The Scorpion fobs to which you refer are for such an aftermarket alarm system.

It seems that your vehicle is a "C" class whereby the original Fiat cab doors are retained. The habitation door is part of the conversion. The fitting of central locking components to the habitation door, and linking to the cab system would perhaps be an option which may not have been adopted.

Your Scorpion alarm fobs will require a battery in order to function. These batteries, as in any other remote fob will require regular replacement.
Hi,
Thank you for the information. I checked the paperwork and it looks like that the Scorpion fob is a approved thatcham Alarm which has been disconnected. Why I don't know. My van is the older style with the 2.8 JTD engine before the change over.

Hi,
Thank you for the information. I checked the paperwork and it looks like that the Scorpion fob is a approved thatcham Alarm which has been disconnected. Why I don't know. My van is the older style with the 2.8 JTD engine before the change over.
A 2006 2.8 JTD can only be an x244. See VIN which will have the form ZFA244.........

For your information the 2.8 JTD was made in several versions. Main variants are with and without EGR, and there is also a higher output "power" version with a variable geometry turbo. I have the impression that the most common version is with flame starter, without EGR. Later x244 models seem to have the infamous UFI filter. See current thread titled "Diesel Leak".

The "Laser" alarm on my 2006 x244 is connected into the vehicle wiring at several points, including the central locking. Details of wiring alterations were not supplied, and in my professional opinion the standard of installation could have been better.

If you have central locking but not remote central locking I’m sure that you could get a new alarm system, or possibly upgrade your current, so it will give you remote CL. But obviously it won’t unlock you hab door if it isn’t part of the CL system.

If you have central locking but not remote central locking I’m sure that you could get a new alarm system, or possibly upgrade your current, so it will give you remote CL. But obviously it won’t unlock you hab door if it isn’t part of the CL system.
Thinking maybe I can use the old alarm system but first need to try and trace the wires to reconnect it.

Back