General fiat ducato 3.0 Maxi xlwb starter motor grinding

Currently reading:
General fiat ducato 3.0 Maxi xlwb starter motor grinding

Pasty007

I have a 2013 fiat ducato 3.0 xlwb Maxi. When I turn on the ignition the engine turns. however sometimes it starts straight away, other times it feels as though it is trying to start but does not unless I keep the ignition key turned. sometimes the whole engine shakes until I release the ignition key. could this be a problem with the starter motor. It sounds as though something is grinding. The van has now done 190,000 miles. anybody else had this problem

Hi

Hard to tell from your description, but it sounds like one or more cylinders are slow to start firing at cranking speed. The minimum cranking speed for the fuel/air to get hot enough to self-ignite depends on the temperature (with working glow plugs if required) and the compression. So to start a slightly worn engine on a cold day it may need to be turned over a bit faster than your battery/wiring/starter motor is presently capable of. Whilst the starter pinion is engaged, the engine can't turn over any faster than cranking speed, so once you release the key it's possible to coax the revs up using the cylinders that are firing and get the others to join in. The shaking and lumpiness will then smooth out. You may see some white smoke initially which is unburnt diesel being ejected from the non-firing cylinders.

Does the engine crank reasonably vigorously ? If not, you may need to check the battery and the heavy wiring from battery to starter and back via the engine block and the block to body earth strap. These are big engines and the starters draw hundreds of amps so the battery and all the wiring joints need to be tip-top.

Thanks for the info. I went to my local garage who do the servicing etc and they said it is not the battery. The battery is a Lucas and was new only 6 months ago. The battery is okay and is charging correctly. However we think we have found the problem. The earth strap from the gearbox to the chassis looks corroded so I have ordered a new OEM one. Thanks for your help.

Back