Technical Fiat Ducato 2018 Comfortmatic clutch problems?

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Ducato 2018 Comfortmatic clutch problems?

Czechmate22

Hi guys!
I have 2018 Fiat Ducato motorhome with 127,000km on the clock, now travelling in Tanzania, East Africa.
Some 1,500km ago I got a fault: P2930 Clutch position sensor. It was cleared 1,000km later, and some 500km after that I started to have real problems… like gear unavailable, switching from auto to manual not being able to change gears, automatic gears shifting like, if it was without clutch altogether (car jumping:( . I’m hoping to find a mechanic in a bigger town here tomorrow. But the nearest authorised service is 6 countries 5,500 kilometers away in Namibia. I have no chance to get there. Plus, when I asked, they have no experience with comportmatic gearbox anyway. Only manual Ducatos have ever been imported to Africa.
My question is: When does the clutch need to be replaced on Fiat Ducato 2018 Comfortmatic gearbox? Is it possible that 127,000km is just about time? Do I need any spare parts for this? Or the clutch just needs to be “re-machined”? Where can I find any information how to actually do this? THANK YOU for any good leads!!🙏👍

Attachments

• IMG_9213.png
    IMG_9213.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 424
Sorry to hear of your problems. It's difficult enough to get Fiat workshops in Europe with experience to work on the Comformatic.
The flywheel, a Dual Mass type, clutch driven plate and pressure plate are similar the that in the manual box.
Various hydraulic actuators operate the clutch and change gear, the box itself is the manual box.
Possible issues, clutch worn out, position sensor or wire loom faulty, actuator failure.
Sometimes a clutch re calibration procedure using a diagnostic system can be a solution.
Any replacement of any part, clutch assembly or actuator needs a recalibration and learn using the diagnostic system.
Apart from Fiat and some diagnostic systems a DIY option is using the Multiecuscan softwere, yellow adapter.

If the clutch needs replaced the gearbox, with actuator assembly attached, needs seperated from the engine.
If the has clutch failed its all new parts , usually Including a new DM flywheel . Re machined is not possible.
A PDF file on the Cumformatic box exists on the Internet, accessing the clutch procedure is similar to most FWD vehicles.
Look in the downloads section for information.

Mike

Exactly as Mikefitz says .

You had better prepare to have your vehicle shipped back to Europe .
Once back in Europe you will need to find an expert with the comfortmatic gearbox to fix it.

Sorry that this sounds negative but it will save you a lot of pain and dead ends to get on with arranging this now.

Best wishes
Jack

Hi guys!
I have 2018 Fiat Ducato motorhome with 127,000km on the clock, now travelling in Tanzania, East Africa.
Some 1,500km ago I got a fault: P2930 Clutch position sensor. It was cleared 1,000km later, and some 500km after that I started to have real problems… like gear unavailable, switching from auto to manual not being able to change gears, automatic gears shifting like, if it was without clutch altogether (car jumping:( . I’m hoping to find a mechanic in a bigger town here tomorrow. But the nearest authorised service is 6 countries 5,500 kilometers away in Namibia. I have no chance to get there. Plus, when I asked, they have no experience with comportmatic gearbox anyway. Only manual Ducatos have ever been imported to Africa.
My question is: When does the clutch need to be replaced on Fiat Ducato 2018 Comfortmatic gearbox? Is it possible that 127,000km is just about time? Do I need any spare parts for this? Or the clutch just needs to be “re-machined”? Where can I find any information how to actually do this? THANK YOU for any good leads!!🙏👍
Hi,Czechmate22, these comfortmatic gearboxes are all closely connected with each other ie Mercedes sprinter,Fiat Ducato, Ford transit etc. the Achilles heel of all of them is sufficient hydraulic oil in the reservoir which in your case is right down in the bowels on the right hand side of the engine bay, check the level in the reservoir and top up if necessary the handbook should give you the type of oil but don’t despair,if it is low and the correct oil is not found then you may be able to use truck tipping oil. An Iveco dealer my be able to help you as they are Fiat owned and would possess the necessary tools and knowledge,good luck,Ken.

Hi Czechmate22,
Be VERY careful with the fluids that you use for the transmission selection mechanism. Behind the Air cleaner there is a square container with a cap & a hose attached to the cap, this is the hydraulic oil for the gear change mechanism & uses Dexron 111 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID, just in front of & attached to the hydraulic container is a small reservoir that is the master cylinder for the hydraulic clutch, this is supposed to be checked every 1000 klm & when full is 10 mm from the top of the container lip. This uses DOT 4 BRAKE FLUID. DO NOT GET THEM mixed up as it will be VERY expensive to repair & be careful not cross thread the clutch master cylinder cap when replacing it. See the attached training manual for the M40 Robotized Gearbox.
On page 11 there is a diagram of the shift mechanism components & the larger square hydraulic tank with the round clutch master cylinder attached to the front of it, this view is from the firewall/back side, (see manual, page 43 for fluids) if you need to top up the clutch cylinder use a syringe with DOT 4 brake fluid with a 6mm plastic hose attached as you can barely see it from the front behind the foam covered bracket.
Good luck with it all

Attachments

• M40 Robotized gearbox.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 266
Back