Technical Fiat ducato 2003 2.8 motorhome lights not working.

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat ducato 2003 2.8 motorhome lights not working.

stevewoods

Hi Fiat ducato 2003 2.8 motorhome lights not working. I think there is 2 fuses one right 1 left and a relay but I can't find details on which relay this is. I'm assuming 2 fuses is unlikely hence the relay. One other this the dashboard Speedo doesn't illuminate also when you turn light switch so it may be linked. Any help would be appreciated as we are travelling. steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum. Other than the instrument panel, have not stated which lights are not working. Since you mention two fuses, I suspect that you are referring to side and tail lights.

There are two fuses for the side & tail Lights with diagonal pairing. I am always sceptical when relays are suggested as the cause of a fault. If you problem relates to the lights that I have deduced, and on an x244 Ducato base vehicle, then there is no relay directly associated with lights.

I suggest checking fuse F3 (10A) in the engine bay fusebox (I suggest using an 8mm socket or nut spinner, otherwise it is all too easy to lose the nut behind the engine.) Also check fuse F37 (10A) in the LH cab fusebox. If both fuses are OK then confirm that with the ignition ON, power is reaching fuse F£&. (You could do this first if you have either 12V test lamp, or a multimeter.)

Attachments

• eLearn E2010 Side & Rear Lights.pdf
    85.2 KB · Views: 104
Tba
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum. Other than the instrument panel, have not stated which lights are not working. Since you mention two fuses, I suspect that you are referring to side and tail lights.

There are two fuses for the side & tail Lights with diagonal pairing. I am always sceptical when relays are suggested as the cause of a fault. If you problem relates to the lights that I have deduced, and on an x244 Ducato base vehicle, then there is no relay directly associated with lights.

I suggest checking fuse F3 (10A) in the engine bay fusebox (I suggest using an 8mm socket or nut spinner, otherwise it is all too easy to lose the nut behind the engine.) Also check fuse F37 (10A) in the LH cab fusebox. If both fuses are OK then confirm that with the ignition ON, power is reaching fuse F£&. (You could do this first if you have either 12V test lamp, or a multimeter.)
No you ever so much. I'm sorry I didn't explain well. It's both the headlights that are not working and also the backlight that comes on when you turn the lights on. Full beam is ok. So I checked the engine compartment fuse box which has a layout in the cover. I found a fuse picture for dipped beam and a relay T02 for dipped beam. Both are ok I measured the fuse on multimeter and switched relay with another of same type in the box but no headlights still. It's been raining hard all day and driving in daylight hours also. I'll check bulbs but can't see both bulbs faulty at same time. And as mentioned the instrument backlight not working. Especially just last week had car yearly MOT/APK. So it's ab mystery. The common denominator may be the steering column light switch itself! Maybe something I've now mentioned may help. 🤔😊

Hi Steve,

Tba

No you ever so much. I'm sorry I didn't explain well. It's both the headlights that are not working and also the backlight that comes on when you turn the lights on. Full beam is ok. So I checked the engine compartment fuse box which has a layout in the cover. I found a fuse picture for dipped beam and a relay T02 for dipped beam. Both are ok I measured the fuse on multimeter and switched relay with another of same type in the box but no headlights still. It's been raining hard all day and driving in daylight hours also. I'll check bulbs but can't see both bulbs faulty at same time. And as mentioned the instrument backlight not working. Especially just last week had car yearly MOT/APK. So it's ab mystery. The common denominator may be the steering column light switch itself! Maybe something I've now mentioned may help. 🤔😊
Hi Steve,

As you have now specified that it is the dipped beams that are the problem, may I refer you to the thread liked to below, and to which I had some input. If you need clarification on any point please come back here.

https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/headlights-problem-not-yer-normal-problem.488368/#post-4603876

Thank you I will read through. But I have no electric windows so that problem.may not be the same. I have tried download the attachments to read and use but downloads fail. Are they still available?

Hi Communicator thankyou for your help. If anyone else has comments it will be great. I'm still stuck on this. But wondering if it could be the light switch on the coln see picture.. position 0 is off. 0I think normally position 1 would turn on side lamps and possibly dash board backlight. (This position does nothing) Position 2 should be dipped beam and also dashboard backlight! (Strangely it only turns on side lamps). Keeping in mind I feel position 1 should do that! Therefore problem remains whateve switch position I select I have no dipped beam. The switch however does work for main Beam which of course Is illegal to uses in normal conditions. Thank you for any help 😊
lights

Attachments

• IMG_20211207_154157.jpg
    IMG_20211207_154157.jpg
    807 KB · Views: 27
I am sorry that you are having difficulty. I was trying to save myself repeating what I have done before.
I have clicked on perhaps the most appropriate attachment of E2011 Dipped Beams. It downloaded OK for me. A recent similar complainant was advised by a third party to check his downloads. Bingo. Attachment repeated below.

Attachments

• eLearn E2011 Dip Beam.pdf
    60.8 KB · Views: 71
Hi Steve,

I follow your logic regarding the column switch. The switch has three positions Off, Side, Head. The side marker lights should stay on when headlamps are selected. Contrary to what the diagram suggests, on my 2006 2.8 JTD, the dipped beams are not switched off when main beams are selected.

If you remove the steering column cover (4 x PZ2 headed screws) you should be able to access the connectors. Connector B pin 4 (Grey wire), is the control for the dipped beams. Connecting an earth connection to this pin should operate the dipped beams when ignition is on.

Hi thank you for your help. The fuse layout I have is different from 5he book🙄. Any I troubleshooted the circuit and linked the connectors on the relay for dipped beam. Lights came on indicating problem is further back. It turned out to be a discreet fuse I hadn't considered as it is shown nowhere as included in the circuit. Fuse 24 it does several things.there is no indication anywhere saying f24 has anything to do with dipped beams or dashboard lighting. Found by eliminating every fuse before taking steering switch apart and buzzing connectors. I'm glad I did this before finding the columns switch would have tested out ok confusing mater's further. But thanks communicator you suggestions prompted me. 😊

Hi Steve,

Congratulations on your success, and thanks for the informative update. In eLearn for the x244, F24 is allocated to automatic transmission. I have checked my 2006 x244, and as it has manual transmission F24 is not fitted. The headlights do of course function as expected.

This leads to one of the errors prevalent on eLearn wiring diagrams. If you exmine the attached pdf of E1010 sheet 2, the headlamp relays, T02 and T14 are towards the lower left of the diagram. There is no positive supply for the relay coils. This supply has to be via the ignition switch, so on a printed copy I have drawn in a connection to terminal C30 near the top RH corner of the diagram, adjacent to F24, but on the supply side.

The engine bay fusebox is principally constructed from folded metal plates, and links. The internal connections will be rather inflexible. I can only speculate as to why the wiring on your vehicle is different., perhaps a design change, or a misplaced link at the wrong end of F24?

Attachments

• eLearn E1010-2.pdf
    95.1 KB · Views: 59
Back