Technical Fiat ducato 2.3jtd motorhome side lights

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat ducato 2.3jtd motorhome side lights

markf1779

Hello everyone - I am looking for some advice.

I have looked the the various threads on problems with side lights - but no luck so far. My problem falls into the category of side lights not working on the passenger side but are working on the drivers side.

The lights not working are the two orange side lights, rear lower side lights, passenger side hand number plate light and passenegr top left hand light.

I know all lights work because if I connect side lights from driver side to passenegr side the two orange and top light work. Also if I connect drivers side number plate light to passenger side number plate light then the numberplate and lower side lights work

I have swapped fuses F12,F13,F24 and the result is still the same. There is 12V to each of the fuses.

So I am looking for some advice as where the wiring looms run from the back of the CFB fuse box through to the Passenger side lights so that I can check the coonectors etc.

There is no 12v to any of the lights. All earth connections show continuity when I check back to earth chasis.

Any help would be appreciated.

I know that if I wire from the drivers side to passenger side then I can get everything working but really like to understand where the problem is occuring.
Thank you

Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

You have not mentioned whether your MH is an x230, or an x244, or whether it is LHD or RHD.

I assume that is a RHD, coach built, on a Ducato cab, but may have an Alko or similar chassis.

The information that I can provide, or link to relates to the x244 vehicle.

The lights that you mention all seem to be part of the MH conversion, and not Fiat fitments. There will probably be converters junction boxes for their part of the vehicle external lighting. Perhaps you have already accessed these?

The Fiat eLearn diagrams for the x244 show that the LH side lights share a fuse with the RH rear, and vice versa.

The connectors that you seek have the diagram codes D025, LH Dashboard Rear Coupling, and D026 RH Dasboard Rear Coupling. They are 10 pole connectors, located in the general area behind the respective cab fuseboxes.

I am adding a link to, the relevant section of an online version of eLearn.

If you scroll down from the diagram and click on the connector number, you will be provided with a connector layout, and pin allocation, with wire sizes, and colour codes.

Translation tables for the wire colour codes which are based in Italian, are available on the internet, but for convenience I have attached my own version.

Please note that D097x referred to as a "short circuit coupling", would be better translated as "linking coupling". I think that these are in a stack, below the screen, and forward of the radio. If I am correct then almost immpossible to access.

http://4cardata.info/elearn/244/2/244000001/244000003/244000005/244001598

Attachments

• Fiat Wiring Colour Codes.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 124
Thank you for your reply and the information especially the diagram
The eLearn guide is very helpful and explains quite a lot for me.
I will look to see if I can find the couplings and will look to see whether the LH side lights and RH rear match up with the fuse
Apologies it is a Fiat sundance MH RH drive - I am not sure whether it x230, or an x244
If I find the connection problem then I will post back on the forum.

Wiring practice and equipment varied from year to year, but this is the earliest diagram I can find specifically for the Sundance (2005).

https://sargentltd.co.uk/tech-support/article/25/download/255

I suspect that on this diagram you're looking at the circuit designated "EMC lights" on the diagram (labelled "EMC Running Lights" on the diagram for other models). This is the circuit that isn't inhibited when the engine is running.

It probably doesn't help a lot, but it might just give a clue where to look.

========================================================

I am not sure whether it x230, or an x244
========================================================

Worth being aware the model variant. The x244 was a facelift version of the x230, but with a different gearbox, and many other items.

On the x230 reverse gear was below 5th, while on the x244 reverse is next to 1st.

Also see VIN in registration document (V5C), or on vehicle plate. Format will be either xxx230nnnnnnnn, or xxx244nnnnnnn.

did you find what it was

I have looked the the various threads on problems with side lights - but no luck so far. My problem falls into the category of side lights not working on the passenger side but are working on the drivers side.

The lights not working are the two orange side lights, rear lower side lights, passenger side hand number plate light and passenegr top left hand light.

I know all lights work because if I connect side lights from driver side to passenegr side the two orange and top light work. Also if I connect drivers side number plate light to passenger side number plate light then the numberplate and lower side lights work

I have swapped fuses F12,F13,F24 and the result is still the same. There is 12V to each of the fuses.

So I am looking for some advice as where the wiring looms run from the back of the CFB fuse box through to the Passenger side lights so that I can check the coonectors etc.

There is no 12v to any of the lights. All earth connections show continuity when I check back to earth chasis.

I know that if I wire from the drivers side to passenger side then I can get everything working but really like to understand where the problem is occuring.
Thank you

All
Apologies for the delay in coming back. It took me quite some time to find where the connection was broken to prevent the side lights and rear lights from working. After stripping back the cable loom protective tape near the rear light I traced the wiring back to a point just behind the rear wheel on the chasis rail. Here the cable loom was routed into the chasis rail and it was only when I pul the cable out of the hole (as there was some slack there) I discovered that the one of the wires (yellow and red - as shown the photo) had become disconnected - this was probably due to some recent work when waxing the chasis. Part of the waxing procees involves pushing a wand which applies the wax through a spray into the hole which must have broken that connection. After I had reconnected the cable it still didnt work so on further investigation I found a third yellow / red cable in the hole. When this was connected all the lights came back on and are now working fine.
See the attached picture.
So to summarise there was no connector as such - the cables were connected via a crimped joint and were disconnected from the source feed at the front. Not the eaiest to find but must say - I gave a satisified sigh of relief as I have searching for this rougue connection for over a month on and off when I had the chance to investigate. :)

Fiat Ducato electrical connection.jpeg

Thank you
hi ive had the same problem there are three fuse boxes one under the bonnet one on the drivers side r/hand side of the column and one on the passenger side next to the glove box the side light fuses are in the passenger side one 5amp fuses hope this helps

Back