Ducato Fiat Ducato 130 problem - Urgent

Currently reading:
Ducato Fiat Ducato 130 problem - Urgent

Bruce1679

Hello All

Thanks for having us.

We are currently fly broken down in France on way to our holiday.

We have a Fiat Ducato 130 Multijet 2015.

Does it have a water cooled gearbox? Any help much appreciated.

Thank you

Gear box went bang yesterday with no warning. Now can’t get it out gear.

Just had radiator changed by a garage and a new oil filter fitted.

I wondered if they haven’t done the water pipes up correctly if it’s water cooled? I’ve attached a photo that I think is a heat exchanger on the oil filter?

Hi

Your picture doesn't show up (you may not be able to post pics yet as a new member). I think you are referring to the oil to water heat exchanger block which sandwiches between the canister oil filter and the engine block, see attached drawing. I presume this warms the engine oil to begin with, then when the engine is working hard the heat flow is the other way i.e. from the oil to the water. Nothing which would affect the gearbox. Manual gearboxes are very efficient, and do not generate much heat. The little they do produce is carried away by airflow over the large area of the casing. True automatic gearboxes are sometimes provided with a radiator to cool their fluid, but that's not the case here.

The main return rubber hose (lower hose) from the radiator joins to a rigid metal pipe across the front of the engine, then to another curved rubber pipe that joins to the heat exchanger. It wouldn't normally be necessary to remove this end to carry out a radiator change, just the connector at the radiator end.

It's possible that you have a clutch problem rather than a gearbox problem. If the clutch is "dragging" i.e. not fully disengaging it will be difficult or impossible to select any gear. With the engine stopped, you may be able to select at least some gears. The problem may be with the hydraulic clutch release mechanism (it shares a fluid reservoir with the brakes), but if you heard a sudden noise that would point more towards a problem with the clutch itself.

Attachments

• X250 Heat Exchanger.jpg
    X250 Heat Exchanger.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 35
There is no water or oil cooling on the gearbox.
1, The gearbox itself may have failed internally, this is not uncommon . Needs removal and dismantle to identify the issue.
2, the clutch or clutch operating slave cylinder may have failed, gearbox removal required to access.
3, the part of the drive shafts connecting the hubs to the gearbox may have failed.
4, the linkage/ cables from gear selector to box may have broken.

1 , very expensive, 2 slightly less expensive, 3, moderate cost, 4, moderate cost.

Get recovered to a garage so they can confirm whats happened. If gearbox failure has occurred, then recovery to the UK is your best option.

Back