fiat diagnostics tool...worth it?

Currently reading:
fiat diagnostics tool...worth it?

officina_crane

my engine light has come on, and i figure i should really have a diagnostic program run on it. but then i thought if im going to pay someone to run a diagnotics on it would it be better to just buy a diagnostic tool with the money and do it myself. what do you reckon?

1) fiat examiner is around £3K + extras + subscriptions etc

2) universal error code readers are ok (and cheap) but limited in error descriptions & cant read vehicle (manufacture) specific errors.

Plus what happens if you have the codes anyway? Say, air pressure sensor and crank sensor? Do you know what the problem is? Crank sensor can be caused simply by stalling engine, air pressure sensor can be caused by stalling and misfire. I get calls all the time by garages giving me codes and wanting to know what the fault is as they have changed the component on the fault code and the fault is not cured! The tech carries out the diagnosis, the machine gives him a clue in which area to look. Get a profeesional to look at it, preferably a Fiat Tech

I also get loads of phone calls (as numanR mentioned earlier)from local garages (most who use snapon diag equipment) asking for help identifying errors or unable to read errors or cant communicate etc...although this equipment is useful (I often use similar equipment) theres no way it can compete with manufacture specific equipment.

Most of the time I help if I can (as I personally know many of these garage owners) but end of the day in most situations in needs to go on examiner & a business that gives away free advice all the time isn't a business its a charity.

Most of the time I help if I can (as I personally know many of these garage owners) but end of the day in most situations in needs to go on examiner & a business that gives away free advice all the time isn't a business its a charity.

Six years ago we made a decision to support Fiat main dealers by giving them *all* repair work, even after warranty, that I do not do myself.
Point is, I do this with our Fiats, not just to get the best job done, with the 1 year warranty on the work, but also to support the dealers.
As such, not sure I want you Fiat techs spending much time helping out the independents. :chin:
Otherwise, might as well go there in the first place and save on labour:devil:

( unless theres a drink in it, that would be different:)

not sure I want you Fiat techs spending much time helping out the independents. :chin:
Otherwise, might as well go there in the first place and save on labour:devil:

Works both ways as we get quick bits of welding done etc...but you know when someone is just using you.......be right back got to give wife my wages:rolleyes:

well the punto is booked in at the nearest fiat dealership for friday morning, im just hoping it's a sensors thats gone rather than something mechanical.

pah i ad a yellow light come up the once on my punt and i dont wana name names....but cough arnold clark cough want 70 quid.!pffft rip off.then i told them il leav it and on the way back home from the garage the light went off:D and its never been on since :)* touch wood*.

Back