FIAT dealer in Newbury

Currently reading:
FIAT dealer in Newbury

PuntoGold

My story is a little old as I only just found this site but relates back to the recall on Puntos last year for excessive corrosion of brake pipes. The garage asked to see the car to check wjhat parts were needed and then booked it in for the following week. When I went to pick it up the work hadnt been done as they didnt have the parts! It was booked in again for the following week but wasnt ready when i went to collect as they had a problem with a "long brake pedal" ie excessive travel. Odd I thought as it was ok before I took it in. The service manager implied it was due to wear of discs and pads and they needed replacing ( it had only passed its MOT about 2 weeks previoulsy with no advice on this altho tester had mentioned corrosion of pipes)but they were also having trouble bleeding the system. As it was knocking off time they let me take the courtesy car again and said they would try and bleed the brakes again in the morning. When I went back the following day I dont believe they had done anymore to the car. The brake pedal was very spongy and when i complained to the manager he said it was because the brakes were worn out and it needed further urgent attention. I went straight to another local mechanic who does servicing in his spare time and we bled the brakes in about 10 minutes with me helping by pumping the pedal.One of the rear bleed screws had very obviously not had a spanner anywhere near it! I complained in writing to the MD of the company explaining how Id had to get another mechanic to complete the work to a satisfactory condition, with copy to FIAT UK. A reply from the service manager said he didnt doubt that their technicians had tried the bleed the brake system correctly but had "encounterd problems", b*****ks said my mate! I also said It had cost me approx £25 in petrol ( not to mention inconvenience) the number of times id had to travel between Andover and Newbury and they did send me a cheque for that amount as compensation. Their level of service and expertise however leaves much to be desired! Also nearly a year has passed and I still havent had new discs or pads fitted and the car just had its MOT again today! It did however fail on rear suspension radius arms :-(
The garage in question?
Alan Gibson Ltd
FIAT & Alfa Romeo main dealers
Newbury Berkshire

John

They may have moved since last year the only way I can explain where they were is coming in from Andover, turn right at double mini roundabout, this road takes you along to the roundabout outside tesco on what was the A34. Just prior to that roundabout turn left and they are on the right. This road would take you back into town coming out on the roundabout by a large brick built church near the hospital. I could just about follow my directions but I dont know if that makes sense to you!

John

Alan Gibson Fiat in Newbury is no more! They closed down at the beginning of May. I only ever used them for Fiat recall work - all my servicing is entrusted to the previous Newbury Fiat/Alfa dealer, Black & White Garage, who are both competent and enthusiastic, and definitely recommended.

Tim.

Back