Technical Fiat Coupe 20vt clutch issues

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Coupe 20vt clutch issues

Krtek

Hi all, first post here, I'll add pice of my ride when I get a chance.

I have a new to me 20vt turbo, which is absolutely much, much better of a car than I had dared dream.

Anyhow, it seems there's about 2 inches of clutch travel which is dead. The pedal pushes the slave cylinder but there's no resistance until about 2 inches in. (Kind of like my wife I suppose)

Gears are difficult, if not impossible to engage, when the car is stationary. No problem with motor off. It came on fairly suddenly, and the last trip I took with minimal spirited driving over 5 km left a decent burning clutch smell.

The reservoir was very low, I topped it off.

I've ordered a new slave cylinder, but I'm not 100% sure this is the fix.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I had to replace my 20vt clutch slave cylinder when there was too much slop in the pedal. If it a leaky cylinder seal, you should see some fluid oozing out of the rubber seal at the business end of the slave cylinder. As you were short of fluid this is a likely suspect, but the reservoir is shared with the brakes. It is a relatively simple job to change, but the spring is substantial. Before you fit the new one, after taking the old one off, just check the movement of the clutch release lever to make sure nothing is broken.

Could be a broken clutch diaphragm spring. When these break they generally collapse inwards thus increasing the clutch pedal travel required. Will also decrease pressure plate pressure so if you can get the clutch to slip under full power delivery in a fixed gear and clutch pedal released the this is probably what has happened and a new full clutch kit will be required.

Re: Fiat Coupe 20v non starting

Hi, I have 1998 20v coupe.
I changed the radio and the battery went very low on power. The CODE light came on and the car will not start.
I have checked wiring and fuses.
Disconnected Immobilizer.
Still not starting!
Any ideas?
Roger.

Back