Fiat C514.5.15 Gearbox manual upload

Currently reading:
Fiat C514.5.15 Gearbox manual upload

Hi, Could a moderator confirm my upload of the official fiat manual for this gearbox was sucessful and it just needs to be released by a moderator?

I did the upload about 5 days ago for the Palio section.

The instructions and parts in the manual are however more or less identical to a punto gearbox. The only difference I found were:

1. 2004 1.2 16V Punto has needle bearings under gears 1 and 2 on the output shaft,

2. There is no oil centring device for the output shaft fitted to the casing and there is no oil way in the output shaft

I have not yet taken the differential apart.

Basically the manual is a great guide for many of the gearboxes found in various fiat cars.

There is a typo in the manual where 'caulking' is used a few times where presumably in all cases 'staking' should be used.

I got a full set of 'Fiat C514.5' gearbox and differential bearings and seals for my punto from onestopgearbox.com. For the gearbox there are no difficult adjustments or shims required. You just need a cheap small bearing splitter and a cheap 6" puller with diy extensions of about 4 inches. I used sections of a chain to extend the arms. None of the pressed on parts were on very tight with the exception of the roller bearing on the output shaft. My DIY extended puller got it off with no problems though but even with the freezer and the oven I still had to pull the new bearing back on the shaft. For safety reasons when pulling it off you need to cover the shaft and puller with rags to protect yourself from something breaking and exploding into your face.

Attachments

• bearing picture.jpg
    bearing picture.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 389
  • P2130536.JPG
    P2130536.JPG
    420.3 KB · Views: 268
  • P2230546.JPG
    P2230546.JPG
    445.5 KB · Views: 256
  • P2250547.JPG
    P2250547.JPG
    430.8 KB · Views: 228
  • P2250549.JPG
    P2250549.JPG
    421.6 KB · Views: 247
  • P2250550.JPG
    P2250550.JPG
    452.5 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
The word "awesome" is, in my opinion, so often used in an inappropriate context these days. Your post here is truly "awesome"! Thanks also for posting the images which greatly enhance the enjoyment of reading your description - I just love the use of the chains in pulling that main shaft/pinion bearing! Also your big yellow bar! (I'm into big levers, as you may know if you saw my bit advising "Theleman" on breaker bars - Panda '03 to '12 section, where I mostly "hang out")

Looking at your images the "flavour" I get from the views of your workbench and surroundings are more those of a woodworking enthusiast than a mechanic? (it all looks very clean compared to my workbench). If so it just increases my admiration for you.

Hope all goes well with the reinstatement and you'll soon be rolling again.
regards
Jock

The word "awesome" is, in my opinion, so often used in an inappropriate context these days. Your post here is truly "awesome"! Thanks also for posting the images which greatly enhance the enjoyment of reading your description - I just love the use of the chains in pulling that main shaft/pinion bearing! Also your big yellow bar! (I'm into big levers, as you may know if you saw my bit advising "Theleman" on breaker bars - Panda '03 to '12 section, where I mostly "hang out")

Looking at your images the "flavour" I get from the views of your workbench and surroundings are more those of a woodworking enthusiast than a mechanic? (it all looks very clean compared to my workbench). If so it just increases my admiration for you.
Hope all goes well with the reinstatement and you'll soon be rolling again.
regards
Jock

Thanks glad people have found it useful. I cleaned up my bench a bit to do this job and had 3 clean draws for parts that were about to be thrown out (and probably kept now as they as so useful). The yellow bar is not so long and more of an illusion as it comes towards the camera. My woodworking skills are fairly basic but sufficient for DIY stuff at home. Hopefully I can get the roofs finished by next winter!

Mr Wild in the Punto section was my inspiration for putting some photos in as they were really helpful for me when I first thought about repairing my input shaft bearing a few years ago.

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-ii/158346-input-shaft-bearing-renewal.html

Attachments

• on the roof.jpg
    on the roof.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Thank you so much for this invaluable resource and all the helpful pictures you posted.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get this manual from?
I have the 6-speed variant of this gearbox, on my Panda 100HP, and am looking to overhaul it. The workshop manual for it would be super helpful although it shouldn't be too different from the 5-speed.

Thank you so much for this invaluable resource and all the helpful pictures you posted.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get this manual from?
I have the 6-speed variant of this gearbox, on my Panda 100HP, and am looking to overhaul it. The workshop manual for it would be super helpful although it shouldn't be too different from the 5-speed.

I was just lucky to find the manual on the web somewhere. As far as I know the 6 speed is a very similar gear box with a larger steel end for 5th and the extra 6th gear.

http://4cardata.info/elearn/192/2/2001203/2000110/2002176/3363708

----------------

'Caulking' is a weird one in English (UK)

In a gearbox context I would think BAULKING.. but obviously would need to see the FIAT manuals text.

-------------------------------------
-----------------

I know that this is an old thread but iirc 'caulking' is actually the intended word, although, as judderbar has said, 'staking' is the more familiar term and is indeed what is being done.

Nowadays, 'caulking' refers to a sealing substance being injected to fill a gap between 2 surfaces (e.g. Decorator's Caulking).
In the old days of shipbuilding, caulk was a substance made from hemp? that was driven into the gaps between wood planks that formed the ship's hull to prevent leaks. This caulk was driven into place using a 'caulking chisel or iron' and mallet. This caulking chisel was like a cold chisel but with a blunt or hollow wide tip.
(check out eBay for examples for sale).

In my Fiat dealership days, I kept a modified cold chisel in my toolbox for staking (caulking:D) of fiat lock nuts used on hub or gearbox bearings. This chisel was simply a 1/2" wide cold chisel with the sharp edge ground to a rounded shape i.e. would no longer cut metal.

Incidentally (look out - more useless historical info incoming), Fiat used to have amongst their dealership special tools (denoted by S.A.T. xxxxx), a large pliers similar to a Blacksmith's tongs with 1/2 round tips, one of which had an internal bump. When this pliers was fitted over the locking ring part of the locknut and squeezed, the internal bump caulked/staked the nut in place.
Iiirc, there were different size pliers to suit different size locknuts. Invariably these special tools couldn't be found when needed, hence why I carried my own 'caulking chisel (modified cold chisel).

By the way, there's no need to go overboard when staking these locknuts, just a little dent will do - this also means that the locking indentation can be undone and the nut possibly re-used. If the material is split, it's not safe to re-use. In extremis (i.e. stores closed or no money :) ), I've carefully filed a little from the back face of the nut so that it could safely re-staked in a different place.

More (useless) historical info.:), Fiat also had a nifty slide-hammer tool for removing hub grease caps without damage. Only 'heathens' used a hammer + chisel/screwdriver :nono:. This tool consisted of a slide hammer attached to a collet type device to grip the small lip of the grease cap. By collet, I mean a series of metal fingers surrounded by a ring operating on a taper that caused them to close inwards. These fingers each had a small sharp lip inside. When fitted over the grease cap, the slide hammer weight was first propelled towards the grease cap, this squeezed the fingers inwards, gripping the grease cap and pulling it very slightly outwards, then propelling the slide weight outwards neatly removed the grease cap without any damage. There were iirc 3? different sizes to suit different Fiat grease cap diameters

Fiat also had a nifty brake drum removal tool - this consisted of a heavy ring that was bolted around the brake drum and then the puller was attached to pull the brake drum off safely without damage (just leave a couple of wheel bolts in situ to avoid personal injury). Again, different sizes were available to suit different drum diameters. Always worked. Only 'heathens' used a big hammer/pry bars/gas torch etc. :nono: :)D )

Al.

Last edited:
Hello, i have a question about c514.6 gearbox from a punto 55 6speed.
I know it's an old thread but I think the question belongs here.

Can the pinion gear that meshes with the big gear on differential (final drive pinion gear) be separated from the layshaft?
My goal is to have a 6 speed gearbox with 3.866:1 final ratio (found in 5-speed P55 boxes of which i have several). My 6-speed box needs overhaul anyway so that pinion gear and diff swap would be done at the same time if it is possible.

Back