Fiat Bravo (198) CANBUS

Currently reading:
Fiat Bravo (198) CANBUS

dedafmonteur

Hey guys,

I want to fit a light and wiper automatic controller. But does that part of the Bravo have CANBUS?

I need to tapp into a few wires of the light and windscreen switches on the steering collum. That's why i ask. Some cars don't have full CAN.

And if that part does have CAn, any suggestions on how to do this? I know there are wiper and light sets without CAn, don't know if they are there with CAN.

I am interested in this addition as well.

Can bus is fooled by the towing relay which draws its power direct from the battery using the feeds from the car lights as signals only. i.e. the current drawn by the relay is I think less than 0.1v. I am sure if you take a feed off the car circuits and use this only to power a relay that switches a power source direct from the battery even if can bus is there, it would get around it totally.

The lights are definitely part of the can bus system. I cannot see a reference to the wipers in my ecuscan software but would be surprised if these are totally separate.

I hope this helps.

well the front lights are not canbus. I did put a few broken lights in and it didn't detect it. It does detect it with the rear licence plate light

Any thoughts?

If you want to be sure that lights are or not in canbus, get out a bulb and start the car, and put on lights. If you have can bus on lights the system advice to you "fused bulb, not present or cutted line"

If you want to be sure that lights are or not in canbus, get out a bulb and start the car, and put on lights. If you have can bus on lights the system advice to you "fused bulb, not present or cutted line"

Sadly not true. Bulb failure detection existed long before canbus.

CANBUS lights is a completely misunderstood subject.

A true canbus light system is where the is just basically a power feed that goes to a light cluster. The cars body computer then sends command signals down the 12V power line to the cluster node telling the node to turn light x on/off, blink y etc.

Next, like on the 500X, you have a primitive modulated (often rather incorrectly referred to as multiplexed) where there is say a single feed for the side lights and brake lights. for side lights a 50% square waveform drives the lamps at 50% brightness and when the brake pedal is pressed then a 100% 12V is supplied.

So called Canbus LED light are just LED units which will draw enough current to ensure whatever bulb failure system is used on the car will no trigger. Some systems will only detect a bulb failure when the light is turned on and draws no current. Other systems pass a very low current all the time so will detected a missing bulb even if that bulb is not turned on.

The advantage of a canbus cluster node is that the node controller can do all the control and detection functions itself and just message back to the body computer as required.

well the front lights are not canbus. I did put a few broken lights in and it didn't detect it. It does detect it with the rear licence plate light

Any thoughts?

Old Post.

But as clarification:
FIATs dashboard 'bulb check'
Does NOT cover the 45+wattage headlight bulbs...
the person driving is supposed to notice the poor illumination and investigate :)

I discovered this on my Grande Punto.. the grande forum section confirmed as 'normal'

Charlie

Last edited:
Back