Barchetta Fiat barchetta footwell replacement speakers

Currently reading:
Barchetta Fiat barchetta footwell replacement speakers

Bluecat2021

I want to upgrade my 99 barchetta Fiat speakers. Having looked at old posts here the main problem seems to me the speaker depth as the originals are quite shallow. I was hoping to replace with Hertz speakers which come up at 4.5cm deep but as there are separate tweeters will a speaker that is 2 way ie with a tweeter too I think sound wrong as tweeter in the door?

I want to upgrade my 99 barchetta Fiat speakers. Having looked at old posts here the main problem seems to me the speaker depth as the originals are quite shallow. I was hoping to replace with Hertz speakers which come up at 4.5cm deep but as there are separate tweeters will a speaker that is 2 way ie with a tweeter too I think sound wrong as tweeter in the door?
I'll be interested in any responses Bluecat (if you had any) as I can't find out whether the separate tweeters require a crossover or not.... Don't think it should be this hard to replace factory-fit systems ;-)

I'll be interested in any responses Bluecat (if you had any) as I can't find out whether the separate tweeters require a crossover or not.... Don't think it should be this hard to replace factory-fit systems ;-)
Hi I swapped over the large speakers for hertz ones they sound way better than the original Fiat ones and the tweeters in the doors still work fine and it’s not too much treble. I don’t have the original head unit but a kenwood one though

Hi and thanks for the reply.... so If I'm understanding you correctly, you bought new speakers (not coaxial, just basic speakers that would fit in the holes) and just left the original tweeters alone? Didn't change the wiring set up or anything? (Crossovers and the like). I'm looking at either a Kenwood or Alpine head unit too :)
Thanks again; your experience is much appreciated
Kevin

Hi and thanks for the reply.... so If I'm understanding you correctly, you bought new speakers (not coaxial, just basic speakers that would fit in the holes) and just left the original tweeters alone? Didn't change the wiring set up or anything? (Crossovers and the like). I'm looking at either a Kenwood or Alpine head unit too :)
Thanks again; your experience is much appreciated
Kevin
Hi Kevin I bought Hertz diece DCX179.3, 17cm they are 2 way coaxial. When you take the old speakers out they will fit directly into the holes but you need to open up the old yellow Fiat speaker terminals as they click into the Fiat speakers and the new speaker have twin terminals. The yellow casing can be prised open and the 2 spade connectors are inside

Hi Kevin I bought Hertz diece DCX179.3, 17cm they are 2 way coaxial. When you take the old speakers out they will fit directly into the holes but you need to open up the old yellow Fiat speaker terminals as they click into the Fiat speakers and the new speaker have twin terminals. The yellow casing can be prised open and the 2 spade connectors are inside
Thanks again, that's really useful. Is the sound a bit weird with effectively two sets of tweeters now working?

Replaced mine with:

New Font Main Speakers
Vibe Britsh Audio - Model No. DB6-V4
Bought from Halfords - £11.99 each

https://vibeaudio.co.uk/product/db6-v4

Wiring: Pink-Black = +ve / Black-Violet = -ve (both L & R)

Not expensive but sound OK and fit. As I recall the depth behind on the "B" there is a little tight and some speakers I measured were a little too deep. Be sure to check this when replacing.

Thanks again, that's really useful. Is the sound a bit weird with effectively two sets of tweeters now working?
Wouldn't the crossover have already filtered the tweeters out?

This is of course assuming it was inline between the original speakers and the head unit...

The top tweeters are still tweeting, it has a replacement kenwood head unit but when I got it still had the original speakers in it the hertz speakers sound very good imo almost as good as my Audi which has the Bose system but a much smaller space sound wise on the barchetta

I seem to recall the crossover is not a crossover but a simple capacitor in-line with the tweeter. Top Quality :)
That might explain why all the speakers still work when I replaced mine, it’s all beyond me but it sounds great

Little late in this discussion, but i had somebody replaced footwell speakers with something that did not even fitted well. I did some research and found out that Alpine SXE-17CS should be almost drop in replacement for originals. Comes with mains for footwell and tweeters to the doors.

Main speakers replacement is just connect and screw to place.

Tweeters fits perfectly to replace original ones, but original cover cannot be used and i had to use hot glue to fit new tweeters. I might look this later if i can 3D print some adapter to replace Alpine tweeter cover with original one

Main thing for me, everything can be restored to original state.

- J

The top tweeters are still tweeting, it has a replacement kenwood head unit but when I got it still had the original speakers in it the hertz speakers sound very good imo almost as good as my Audi which has the Bose system but a much smaller space sound wise on the barchetta
Last daft question, I promise.... Those speakers have been superseded by a newer model but the sizes look the same. Were you able to put the original footwell speaker covers back on as I'm keen to stick to an original look where possible? Thanks as ever :)

Little late in this discussion, but i had somebody replaced footwell speakers with something that did not even fitted well. I did some research and found out that Alpine SXE-17CS should be almost drop in replacement for originals. Comes with mains for footwell and tweeters to the doors.

Main speakers replacement is just connect and screw to place.

Tweeters fits perfectly to replace original ones, but original cover cannot be used and i had to use hot glue to fit new tweeters. I might look this later if i can 3D print some adapter to replace Alpine tweeter cover with original one

Main thing for me, everything can be restored to original state.

- J
Interesting.... did you have to install new crossovers for these Alpines or did the original wiring work, please? :)

Interesting.... did you have to install new crossovers for these Alpines or did the original wiring work, please? :)
If you mean speaker connectors, well as somebody had replaced originals already with some wrong ones, original connectors were already missing. For tweeters, i took connectors from old speakers and soldered those to new ones.

About covers. In footwell Alpines were just drop-in-replacement. So original mounting holes, covers etc, everything goes without modification (expect of course wiring..).

In doors, tweeter covers were different story and someday i will replace Alpine own covers with original ones, but that needs some modifications and have to create some adapter to keep original covers in place.

- J

By way of update and info guys, I bought a "guaranteed compatibility" kit from In Car Emporium's ebay shop. Pioneer mechless head unit and Kicker speakers. They provide the wiring, the security keys to remove the original unit and radio antenna adapters so everything slotted into place without any cutting or screwing.

It sounds excellent, I have to say and the tweeters on the top of the doors are still working too, along with the electric aerial. The only issue I had was that the stereo unit did not seem to have constant power to maintain the memory so every time I turned it off and removed the ignition key it basically died, meaning that the next time the key went in, the unit thought it was a first-time installation. I called ICE and they explained that it is a very common problem with Pioneer head units and that I needed to remove it again and find the bullet connectors in the power side of the wiring adapters behind the unit (there are two connectors, 1 for power and the other for speakers and the power one was labelled so easy to identify). The red and yellow power leads needed to be swapped round so that the red went to the yellow and vice versa. I made the change and hey presto, everything works as it should.

Recommend this unit and worth the extra for the fitting kit and after-sales support for a non-mechanic like me :)

For a completely different sort of solution, I bought a second-hand JBL Flip 5 for Euro 40 and mounted it just behind and between the seats. Terrific sound. Replaced the cigarette-lighter with a USB socket. Also removed the radio and built in a small open box for sunglasses, door-remote etc. Just an idea ;)
grtz ER

Back