General Fiat Airbag

Currently reading:
General Fiat Airbag

lapsona

Hello i have fiat 500 POP 2017, was bought in United States. In my country i cant find steering wheel Airbag, so i want to order from United Kingdom. As i know they have different parts, so i want to know if european fiat 500's airbag will fit in american fiat 500 ?
Thanks further.

Hello i have fiat 500 POP 2017, was bought in United States. In my country i cant find steering wheel Airbag, so i want to order from United Kingdom. As i know they have different parts, so i want to know if european fiat 500's airbag will fit in american fiat 500 ?
Thanks further.
Why don’t you want to order one from the US?

I don’t know about the 500 but for older cars, the US airbag is bigger than the Euro spec one, and uses a bigger explosive charge, in order to inflate the bigger bag in the same amount of time. Nothing to do with Yanks being a bit chunkier I’m sure... 🤔 it’s just the regs. The latest Euro cars might have the same bag nowadays.

Ralf S.

I don’t know about the 500 but for older cars, the US airbag is bigger than the Euro spec one, and uses a bigger explosive charge, in order to inflate the bigger bag in the same amount of time. Nothing to do with Yanks being a bit chunkier I’m sure... 🤔 it’s just the regs. The latest Euro cars might have the same bag nowadays.

Ralf S.
because of time and money, more cheaper and faster than US :D thats the photo of airbag, if someone can help :/
1648404619204.png

At a glance that looks just like the back of mine! 2 plugs orange & purple .. saying that my car is a 2011 and yours is a 2017 here in the UK our post 2016 model is a face lift and only has a single plug on the back of the airbag also it’s a more rounded shape!
It would be easy to say yes it would work but personally I don’t know & without the risk of being over the top here but if it’s not right it’s potential dangerous

Thanks further.

Ralf S.
I'm guessing that perhaps the car is no longer in the US. (But its location is currently secret.)
because of time and money, more cheaper and faster than US
US airbags are often larger, and often two-stage. This is because seat belt wearing is not compulsory. I think, if no seatbelt worn, the airbag may deploy sooner, or smaller, to ensure it is fully inflated before any impact with it. With all EU countries requiring seat belts to be worn, the belt gives more time to inflate the airbag, before the occupant arrives, and as the airbag is a 'supplementary' restraint, it can be smaller, as the belt has already absorbed a lot of the energy.
For this reason, a European airbag might contavene local laws, or present additional hazards if the belt is not worn.
As the airbag has to communicate with its control unit, it is very likely that a European airbag will refuse to work. An expensive way to waste time and money, waiting for one to arrive, to then not be compatible.
Each car has been specified for its intended market, with airbags, seatbelts, and control units matched as a set. No-one, even at Fiat, will have researched 'incorrect' combinations to see what might work. The only safe way forward, is to replace like-for-like.
Might be a stupid question but has the pic air bag been deployed?
It doesn't look it, but if not, why would it need replacing?
Like a lot of threads, we don't have all the info, so are guessing.

@lapsona Why are you wanting a new airbag? If you have a fault light lit, the problem is more likely to be in the clockspring, which is below the airbag, in the switch housing, or the passenger airbag isolater switch if the US cars have them. Please give some more detail about what the problem is, and what diagnosis has been done to arrive at 'need new airbag'.

Back