Technical Fiat 850 with fiat 899ie engine head

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 850 with fiat 899ie engine head

randomitaliandude

Hi, i have an old fiat cinquecento 899 that isn't quite properly working so i can sacrifice but I'd really love to get a 850. Now, i can get a 850 with a quite good body but not working engine. Can I swap head and everything from my 899, keeping the 850 block, piston, rods, cams, crank, and make it work with the single point injector? Is it possible to fit the lambda sensor to exhaust manifold and make the ECU work? I'd love to have fuel efficiency and reliability from an almost modern ie engine but in a rear engine rwd car, is it possible somehow?

Hi, i have an old fiat cinquecento 899 that isn't quite properly working so i can sacrifice but I'd really love to get a 850. Now, i can get a 850 with a quite good body but not working engine. Can I swap head and everything from my 899, keeping the 850 block, piston, rods, cams, crank, and make it work with the single point injector? Is it possible to fit the lambda sensor to exhaust manifold and make the ECU work? I'd love to have fuel efficiency and reliability from an almost modern ie engine but in a rear engine rwd car, is it possible somehow?
Not sure about your conversion, looking on wikipedia there were some lovely versions supplied by Fiat when new up to 2litre and around 150mph!
As an apprentice in the late 1960s we used to have several of the Fiat and Seat versions of the saloon and coupe to work on, I always thought they were a lovely little car. Some more ambitious modifications with bigger engines must have had to take account of with it being rear engine, wheel drive, the engine ran in the opposite direction of rotation compared with front wheel drive vehicles.

Couple of things to be aware of.

The 850 engine has an oil filter in the end pulley so you may have to work out how to trigger the crank sensor from the 850 pulley. The 850 engine turns anticlockwise and the 899 cing is clockwise so be aware of this in modifying things

Couple of things to be aware of.

The 850 engine has an oil filter in the end pulley so you may have to work out how to trigger the crank sensor from the 850 pulley. The 850 engine turns anticlockwise and the 899 cing is clockwise so be aware of this in modifying things
i looked at all the parts from both of the engine and the head should mount without many problems, i will have to use the rocker an maybe the pushrods from the 850 (i would anyways), i can mount the lambda sensor and the mainfold from the 899 without dimensions problem. the only problem is that i don't knwon how to put in there the crank sensor

Don't forget the 850 rotation is different so plan the position for anticlockwise rotation on the crank sensor or use the cinquecento timing cover and extend the plate up or down

Don't forget the 850 rotation is different so plan the position for anticlockwise rotation on the crank sensor or use the cinquecento timing cover and extend the plate up or down
I was thinking that could make sense to keep the timing sensor as it is and just plug the spark plug to a different coil, since it is a spi engine shouldn't make any problem

I was thinking that could make sense to keep the timing sensor as it is and just plug the spark plug to a different coil, since it is a spi engine shouldn't make any problem
Just a thought, would it be worth exploring Fiat 900T van engine and transmission being RWD also and being a little newer maybe other benefits?

All my 850s turn anticlockwise.( 1x spyder,1x coupe, 2x lombardi)
My 900t camper turns anticlockwise
My 1993 899 cinquecento turned clockwise.

Back