Technical Fiat 600-600d owners

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 600-600d owners

Any more info on 600s would be great! Best place for used parts? Best place for new parts?
Just rescued a 1964 (I think) 600 from a salvage yard sale. It's mostly complete and mostly solid. Thoughts and leads always welcome!

Some pics of the 600. Any leads on parts...Please help. Thanks

Attachments

• 1399317371329.jpg
    1399317371329.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 1399317427429.jpg
    1399317427429.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 1399317452645.jpg
    1399317452645.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 124
I'm looking for an alternative engine for a fiat 600. It's been 25 years since I fully restored my first goat 500 I'm oz, and I'm doing one in Sri Lanka now but need a reliable engine. Or are there modifications that can be made to the existing engine to improve reliability. Please help. Thanks

Awesome cars in here!! Hi, I'm looking for an alternative engine for a fiat 600. It's been 25 years since I fully restored my first goat 500 In oz, and Im doing one in Sri Lanka now but need a reliable engine. Or are there modifications that can be made to the existing engine to improve reliability. Please help. Thanks

Awesome cars in here!! Hi, I'm looking for an alternative engine for a fiat 600. It's been 25 years since I fully restored my first goat 500 In oz, and Im doing one in Sri Lanka now but need a reliable engine. Or are there modifications that can be made to the existing engine to improve reliability. Please help. Thanks

Fitting an alternative engine would be really tricky. The water pump is driven off the side of the engine and has the cooling fan on the front of the shaft, to line up with the radiator; achieving that alignment with anything other than a Fiat 600 engine would be really tricky. The 127 and Autobianchi 112 had basically the same engine, spinning the right way, unlike the 850 which is practically identical, apart from the capacity and the fact that it spins the opposite way. Even at sixty years old or so, I'd have thought the 600 engine should be reliable enough for hobby motoring, as opposed to day-to-day driving. The 600D was quite a development from the 600, with (again) bigger capacity and many components much more robust.

Many thanks for your time an response, much appreciated. My mechanic in Sri Lanka has just proposed to fit a Honda Acty (mini truck) engine along with drivetrain, radiator, etc. I suppose im still leaning towards maintaining the original engine. I'm assuming the 600 doesn't have synchromesh? Are there any basic modifications to the original engine that can be done to improve reliability?
Thanks again

Many thanks for your time an response, much appreciated. My mechanic in Sri Lanka has just proposed to fit a Honda Acty (mini truck) engine along with drivetrain, radiator, etc. I suppose im still leaning towards maintaining the original engine. I'm assuming the 600 doesn't have synchromesh? Are there any basic modifications to the original engine that can be done to improve reliability?
Thanks again

You need to distinguish between the 600 and the 600D.

I think your mechanic is confusing the 500 and 600 - the 500 had no synchromesh. As far as i recall the 600 had syncro on all gears. The 600D engine in particular was very reliable. The petrol pump was the only weakness that I remember, driven off an eccentric on the camshaft, but the engine was very robust mechanically without the massive margins that were typical of British engines at the time. With its alloy head you might find that some of the rocker shaft mounting bolts have either stripped their threads in the head or they have already had inserts put in, which is the way to cure the problem. The effort that would be required to put in a different engine must outweigh the effort to rebuild and maintain the original engine many times over - apart from the attraction of keeping the car original.

Many thanks again for your advice. I've investigated further and it seems like an engine swap is possible. As an enthusiast I would prefer to keep it original but I'm also weary of breaking down in Sri Lanka and dont have the resilience of my 20's years to push the car to the nearest hill :). I also realised that I need ac installed as it's way too hot to be driving around the city. I'm told that I can't fit Ac to original engine. The cost between mounting a new engine vs keeping the original is around 3kusd in difference. I'm going to experiment and see how it goes. I'll let you know. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

On another note, where is the best place to get fiat 600 parts from? If have to bring them into Sri Lanka.

Guy i own a fiat 600 to,dont know its a D or not.Will post pics asap.Is there any difference b/w 600 and 600d based on engine capacity?

Hi new 600D owners in Essex ...just bought '65 600D fitted with Abarth suspension and 124 wheels and Abarth badges , did have Abarth style big bore exhaust ...but just changed for sports exhaust

Greetings 600 owners! Multipla 600D owner here. Last drove it in 1994. In bits at the moment but hoping to finally begin restoration this year. Will try and find some photos of last time it was in one piece!

Hi! Have been working on what seems to be a mash-up of fiat parts. From the research I've done I have a 1962 Fiat 600D chassis; a fiat 600 (100.000) engine block; and a Fiat 600D (100D.000) cylinder head.

I'm wondering if the 600D cylinder head will work on the 600 engine block?

Any information that forum frequenters may have would be very much appreciated.

-Colin

Hello Kjell,

I just bought a '59 600 and might very well be interested in some spare parts.

Thanks,
Nooner

Back