Fiat 518

Currently reading:
Fiat 518

Ardita

Hello all, I am a Member singe today.

In the Moment I dismantle the waterpump of my Ardita Sport 518 for renewing.
It is difficult to separate the Paddlewheel from the axle.
Is here everybudy with Knowledge or experience? May be a drawing?
Thanks in advance, Wolfgang (Ardita)😁

Hello all, I am a Member singe today.

In the Moment I dismantle the waterpump of my Ardita Sport 518 for renewing.
It is difficult to separate the Paddlewheel from the axle.
Is here everybudy with Knowledge or experience? May be a drawing?
Thanks in advance, Wolfgang (Ardita)😁
No specific knowledge, looks like a lovely old car. The only vehicle I have ever dismantled water pumps on were East German Wartburgs as we were the agents at the time, the pump was in the head and we used to draw the impeller (paddlewheel) from the spindle (axle) using a special extractor to prevent damage. On either end of the impeller sat a flexible diaphragm with a rubber sealing ring, on it was a carbon ring which rubbed against either end of the impeller to keep it watertight. The ball bearing races were greased and as long as the water seals worked to keep water from those bearing it was all good. You may have bronze bushes instead of ball bearings I am guessing.
It was all quite fragile, the cast iron impeller and the carbon seal easily damaged

No specific knowledge, looks like a lovely old car. The only vehicle I have ever dismantled water pumps on were East German Wartburgs as we were the agents at the time, the pump was in the head and we used to draw the impeller (paddlewheel) from the spindle (axle) using a special extractor to prevent damage. On either end of the impeller sat a flexible diaphragm with a rubber sealing ring, on it was a carbon ring which rubbed against either end of the impeller to keep it watertight. The ball bearing races were greased and as long as the water seals worked to keep water from those bearing it was all good. You may have bronze bushes instead of ball bearings I am guessing.
It was all quite fragile, the cast iron impeller and the carbon seal easily damaged
Many thanks for yout tip. I will try to push out the axle with a press. Threre are two materials, steel and brass. 86 years old and also fragile.

Many thanks for yout tip. I will try to push out the axle with a press. Threre are two materials, steel and brass. 86 years old and also fragile.
A puller was what we used but as long as you are very gentle with the press, maybe clean off any rust on the shaft, possibly oil it and warm it up. You will know best being there. I assume you cannot see anything else holding the impeller on the shaft, like a pin or similar?
It is probably to big but I have used an ultrasonic cleaner for small things to clean all the "rubbish" out the way.
The other advantage we had was a good supply of replacement parts, unlike you ;)

Back