General Fiat 500L 2014

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500L 2014

Tanya2014

Hello . I'm new, and have a question. Today when I've changed the oil, they said my transmission leaking a bit, tray. What does that means, and around how much it can coast me?

Hello . I'm new, and have a question. Today when I've changed the oil, they said my transmission leaking a bit, tray. What does that means, and around how much it can coast me?
We'd need to know a bit more about the leak and where it is. For instance it might be from the driveshaft seals or the gearchange selector shaft or the first motion shaft (input shaft) or the end cover gasket or ? Cost will vary enormously depending on where the leak is coming from.

Gearboxes, regardless of make of vehicle, do tend to leak a little bit, our Panda has a leak from it's gear selector shaft at this time and has been gently "weeping" for a couple of years now. Last year I fixed the same leak on my boy's Punto as it was becoming rather more than a "weep".

If it's only a small leak - a "dampness" rather than an actual drip of oil and not leaving an oil mark on the ground where you normally park up - I would tend to leave well alone whilst checking on it maybe every couple of months to be sure it's getting no worse. I would also check the gearbox oil level every year at service time and if it needed more than just a spoonful of oil to top up I'd take it as an indication it was time to sort the leak. One leak I wouldn't delay fixing would be if there was any chance the oil might contaminate the clutch, then I would do it a.s.a.p.

If you could post a picture of where the oil is leaking from that would be very helpful.

PS Welcome to our forum!

Reactions: ben
We'd need to know a bit more about the leak and where it is. For instance it might be from the driveshaft seals or the gearchange selector shaft or the first motion shaft (input shaft) or the end cover gasket or ? Cost will vary enormously depending on where the leak is coming from.

Gearboxes, regardless of make of vehicle, do tend to leak a little bit, our Panda has a leak from it's gear selector shaft at this time and has been gently "weeping" for a couple of years now. Last year I fixed the same leak on my boy's Punto as it was becoming rather more than a "weep".

If it's only a small leak - a "dampness" rather than an actual drip of oil and not leaving an oil mark on the ground where you normally park up - I would tend to leave well alone whilst checking on it maybe every couple of months to be sure it's getting no worse. I would also check the gearbox oil level every year at service time and if it needed more than just a spoonful of oil to top up I'd take it as an indication it was time to sort the leak. One leak I wouldn't delay fixing would be if there was any chance the oil might contaminate the clutch, then I would do it a.s.a.p.

If you could post a picture of where the oil is leaking from that would be very helpful.

PS Welcome to our forum!
Hello, I have not written you back in a while, because I. got so busy with my car, my apologies. Thank you for responding! SO here what I found out, and want to find out more. I had to bring it to the dealership, because it was hardly driving. 1st they've said that it is modulator, the digital part of Transmission needs to be replaced. And then he said, luckily it is that part is outside of transmission. Then they called me today and said, well we changed the modulate, and then drove it and now looks like you need to change all transmission, and it is going to coast gazillion dollars, so I'm depressed. And want to find out, basically here is my question, hopefully i'll be able to ask correctly. So here it is , Is it True that you can not see if transmission is broken , unless you change the modulator, the one that is outside of the transmission, or he just trying to charge me to. the top. Because supposedly I have to pay for modulator, that they've changed, even though my car is wont be drivable . or is he just taking advantage of my not knowing. I feel like he could of look into transmission 1st, before changing the modulator, that he is wanting me to charge now for. Help I'm so upset, and now have no car , how am I going to drive my kids.

PS Welcome to our forum!
Thank you. I've been gone for while, running around trying to figure out what is going on with my FIAT. It reads code Gear Shift Actuator 1 Engage Failure. What does that mean. Car is running, but needs to warm up, and then it says shift gear to a Neutral or reverse and then to drive. SO I have to do that couple times, and then it runs. I do not believe that is a 10,000 engine replacement needs to happen, like dealer says. I think just a something needs to be replaced , like gearshift cable, or gear shifter. Any advise or opinions ? Please let me know. I've change oils and filters all the time, like a good girl, how can something go wrong.

Back