Technical Fiat 500 - Steering Control Issues

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 - Steering Control Issues

500Sport

I have a 2008 Fiat 500 1.4 Sport (24,000 miles to date). Love it until today ...

My steering failure notification warning light started to flash resulting in the loss of my power steering. I've been to the garage and had my car scanned for faults. I've been told that I need a new steering control unit at the cost of £903+ vat. Ouch!! still getting over the shock. This seems an excessive cost for a car with such low mileage and a full service history.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? is this cost exccessive? I'm told the part comes as a complete unit and can only be supplied by Fiat therefore the cost is fixed.

I know in the past that the Fiat Panda/Punto have had recalls for steering control issues. Does anyone know if the Fiat 500 share the shame chassis and base mechanics as the 500? could history be repeating itself?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Panda/Punto aren't related.

The 500 is based on the Panda.

However one thing that should probably be looked at before actually replacing the steering unit would be the battery. The steering won't work if the battery isn't holding a decent charge.

Aside from that I'd give bba reman a call, a few people on the Panda forum have had EPS units repaired by them for rather a lot less than the amount you've been quoted.

I feel for you, that sounds awful - a lot of money. You don't say, but I assume you are not the first owner? Only reason I ask is I wondered when in 2008 the car was bought/registered, just thinking whether it is covered by the 3rd year warranty, technically possible if it was bought toward the end of 2008 but of course if it was, was the third year warranty ever transferred? I'm just trying to think of a way of financial damage limitation. It was precisely for eventualities such as yours that as a subsequent owner, I ensured I got our third year warranty on our 500 transferred into my wife's name.

Thank you for your responses. I shall take on board your advice 306maxi.

I did transfer the 3 year warranty but unfortunately it very recently expired. I shall see how much FiatCare 'care' at 9am on Monday morning. Fingers crossed that they overwhelm me with compassion. Shall seek a second opinion on my warning light faults and part costings too. Wish me luck.

poor earths/batteries and even duff alternators cause the error you have so it may not be the steering column, just make sure the battery and charge system is 100% first :)

Update. After seeking a second opinion and numerous phone calls to Fiat Care I'm pleased to let you all know that Fiat cared enough to meet 100% of costs. Very happy. Car now in full working order. Thank you all for your tips and advice.

Update. After seeking a second opinion and numerous phone calls to Fiat Care I'm pleased to let you all know that Fiat cared enough to meet 100% of costs. Very happy. Car now in full working order. Thank you all for your tips and advice.

Congratulations!

Just out of curiosity what was the name of the person you dealt with at Fiat? I'm guessing it wasn't Stephen :D

That is good news. Did they tell you what the actual fault was in the end? It would be interesting for me to know if it was a battery / charging system fault or the more expensive power steering unit fault.

I'd put money on it being the power steering motor. The motors seem to be failing less on each subsequent model but they're still abit of a long term concern i think.

At least Fiat resolved it without question - i guess the increased profit margin in the 500 is good for something!

Back