500 (Classic) Fiat 500 seat covers

Currently reading:
500 (Classic) Fiat 500 seat covers

I just ordered a set from Mr Fiat. These are real nice though.

How difficult are these to install by a do-it-yourselfer? I am thinking of doing the install myself rather than give to an upholsterer to install.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I just asked the seller to send me full pics for installation of the covers
i will upload the pics for you if you need them

ok I had reply from the seller...
the cover will fit the seat and just tieback...
he sent me pics but they dont show how to fix them... he told me its a easy diy job
if you need more info let me know and I will ask him(y)

Hi.
I've just done this job on my front and back seats. I ordered a set of covers from Ricambio UK. They look great. Had them shipped out to New Zealand.

They are the tie back type. Worked very well on the front seats and look good. I also replaced the foam inside the front seats. The tricky part is getting the top of the back rests to look full. I added a bit of extra foam at the top, which meant taking the covers off and putting them back on. Which I've now done twice. I'm still not entirely happy with the tops and may take them off again to add some padding. Makes it harder to pull the covers on though.

The back seats were more difficult. However, Bambina's built in NZ often seem to have a plywood base, mine certainly does on the seat and back rest. This meant that it was easier to use an industrial stapler and staple to the underside of the plywood base all around the edge. This made the straps redundant except for positioning while I slowly worked round with the staples. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1417199508.170183.jpg

Happy with the end result.
Tim

Hi.
I've just done this job on my front and back seats. I ordered a set of covers from Ricambio UK. They look great. Had them shipped out to New Zealand.

They are the tie back type. Worked very well on the front seats and look good. I also replaced the foam inside the front seats. The tricky part is getting the top of the back rests to look full. I added a bit of extra foam at the top, which meant taking the covers off and putting them back on. Which I've now done twice. I'm still not entirely happy with the tops and may take them off again to add some padding. Makes it harder to pull the covers on though.

The back seats were more difficult. However, Bambina's built in NZ often seem to have a plywood base, mine certainly does on the seat and back rest. This meant that it was easier to use an industrial stapler and staple to the underside of the plywood base all around the edge. This made the straps redundant except for positioning while I slowly worked round with the staples.View attachment 146654

Happy with the end result.
Tim

These look great. I noticed under the front seats, lower cushion, in between the springs and the padding is a burlap pad. This is old and making a mess and needs to be changed as well. Did you replace this padding with anything?

Hi Lukmek, thanks. I was pleased with the way they turned out. I've included a front seat picture too.

I discovered a YouTube clip showing a seat restoration. It's not a Fiat seat, but the process is the same. Here's the link:

Watching this clip I noticed that the burlap (called hessian in this part of the world) goes over the springs to protect against rubbing. Then on top of the burlap they've used carpet felt (often used as carpet underlay). Then the foam seat padding. I cut the burlap to size, a bit bigger than the footprint of the seat, cut the fleet to the size of the seat base and then folded the edges of the burlap over the felt and roughly glued it in place. This just sits loosely on the seat, held in place by the foam on top.

I walked into a fabric shop and instantly spotted some red burlap! Didn't know it came in colours. This matches my red and black interior colour scheme, just a detail, I know.

Let me know if you want a photo of the underside of the front seats.

Hope this helps.
Tim

Attachments

• frontseats.jpg
    frontseats.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 39
One more pic, the underside of my front seats showing burlap / hessian. Don't know if it helps.

In fact I can see now that it doesn't, cos it's a lousy photo :(

Tim

Attachments

• seat-under.JPG
    seat-under.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 44
Back