Technical Fiat 500 S Fan vibration / balancing clips

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 S Fan vibration / balancing clips

Slippermc

Have a problem with cooling fan vibration.. On inspection some fan blades have clips on.. surely these are not for balancing? How why and what is going on here? Never seen a fan with balancing bits clipped on.. see image this is not my fan.. mine has more!!!!! Any ideas on how to rebalance before bearings give up…

Attachments

• 79895B60-ADC8-4A1B-829F-522FE74E2C3F.jpeg
    79895B60-ADC8-4A1B-829F-522FE74E2C3F.jpeg
    507.3 KB · Views: 272
They do have balancing clips - but rebalancing is not a DIY job. Suggest a good used fan will be the best bet.

Check the unit is properly attached to the radiator though, and the fan isn't loose on the shaft.

The fan may have had some trauma to go out of balance. Has something fallen into it?

Nick

I dunno.... if you're going to replace the fan then there's no harm trying to balance it first. If you break it, you're no worse off.

If you remove the fan and take a photo of it how it is now... in case you need to put it all back together... 🧐 then;

Remove all the clips.
Stick the fan carefully in a vice, or clamp.. or support it upright so it can't move.
Spin the fan as fast as you can by hand. Draw a line at on the blade that ends up at 12 o'clock.
Spin it again...
Repeat again about 20 times until you either see a pattern (the same area is ending up at 12 o'clock) or until you realise it's all just random.
If most of the marks are in/around the same place, then that's a light spot. Add a clip to it.

Repeat the above to find the next light spot... until you get bored, or until the fan stops in completely random places without any pattern. Then you can say it's at least more balanced than it was before.

Don't fit clips that you don't need to... keep any leftovers, rather than fitting one every 90 degrees etc. just to "use" them.

Ralf S.

Last edited:
Back