Technical Fiat 500 front suspension

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 front suspension

Baldypaul

Hi.My daughters 500 has failed mot on front shock absorbers.Finally managed to get first one out,but struggling to loosen the 27mm coil nut.I was going cut it out but can't find anywhere local to supply new one.I read one of the threads saying they had cut either end of the spring off,fed it off,then gripped the shock strut in a vice and removed the nut.Rang the supplier who I got the shocks from to order new coils,but he needed to know if the power steering was hydraulic or electronic,as they were different length springs.Can anybody tell me how to find out this information please? It is a 2013 1.2 lounge model vin ZFA31200000985099.A y suggestions would be great.Or if anyone knows where I can buy new 27mm nuts from.

Last edited:
Hi :)

Question for the 500 section really.. but its all common FIAT kit

ALL the steering is electrically assisted :)

I did the job 10 years ago on my panda

500 is similar ( parts are probably identical)

This thread should cover most of your questions

Compress the springs with a spring compressor grind flats on the top of the rod and use a ring spanner or I used a open ended spanner it's not that tight once the spring is released? Don't destroy the nut it's the only part to re use

It's a worry your supplier didn't know all 500's have electric pa's?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
You will need new top mounts to go with the new shocks and probably new springs as well. Rusty springs break and often take out a tyre. Also check the rear pivot rubber bush on the bottom arms. They wear and affect the steering (car "tramlines" over white lines and road repair over-banding).

Don’t buy cheap spring compressors!
These look pretty solid. The safety pin is a good idea.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I have these and seem fine for DIY use sturdy too
Mine are seally ones and are identical to the drapers, they were okay on the panda and X19 springs but useless on on mates Niva. They kept slipping so we secured with a couple of small 1t ratchet straps. I prefer the two finger types, but they need to be well dished for bigger thickness springs

Back