Technical Fiat 500 engine light & diagnostics

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 engine light & diagnostics

I’ve had it scanned using my friends torque so only a generic software rather than multiecuscan.

It came back with
P0120 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A circuit

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire detected

P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire

The cars running sweet so cleared all the errors and will see how it goes, but I think the first one was I nudged the TP a while ago so could be me that and hoping it won’t come back.

As I changed the spark plugs last year I doubt it’s them causing issues but could be coil pack/leads?

It’s annoying as it’s not like it does it every journey and may not do it again or so.

Question in multiecuscan does it give a time stamp on when the error occurred like 3pm 31/5/2022? Hoping it does then I’ll know any new issues rather than clear and wait for it to return then rescan

Thabks

Ah that’s a shame.

As the codes have been cleared nothing should show up in a scan but I’ll be buying the correct leads and see what free MES can do or worst case buy the registered version.

Could the earth strap cause the issues I had? I’m thinking no as it starts absolutely fine but then I’ve not had the issue before.

The earth strap is the original and it does look a bit manky, I believe the newer versions have a plastic sleeve other them.

Also if it is likely to be the earth strap do I need the genuine one or could I buy this? https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...MImIzYxcuK-AIVAs13Ch1htACoEAQYASABEgLBQfD_BwE

not sure if it needs to be more flexible

Ah that’s a shame.

As the codes have been cleared nothing should show up in a scan but I’ll be buying the correct leads and see what free MES can do or worst case buy the registered version.

Could the earth strap cause the issues I had? I’m thinking no as it starts absolutely fine but then I’ve not had the issue before.

The earth strap is the original and it does look a bit manky, I believe the newer versions have a plastic sleeve other them.

Also if it is likely to be the earth strap do I need the genuine one or could I buy this? https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/battery-accessories/halfords-negative-battery-cable-45cm-18in-165266.html?istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=367c5610-f937-4c81-8609-f84582324cd6&istItemId=xtmqrx&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:|cid:17145159354|agid:|tid:|crid:|nw:x|rnd:1759633369192118620|dvc:m|adp:|mt:|loc:1006715&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImIzYxcuK-AIVAs13Ch1htACoEAQYASABEgLBQfD_BwE

not sure if it needs to be more flexible
The earth needs to be long enough to get from gearbox to chassis rail under battery tray .. the original will have had a plastic cover at some point but the original is a braided flat type .. mine was shredded under its loose fitting cover & was as green as a leprechaun 🍀 that Halfords one looks ok to me but you can get cheaper on eBay

The earth needs to be long enough to get from gearbox to chassis rail under battery tray .. the original will have had a plastic cover at some point but the original is a braided flat type .. mine was shredded under its loose fitting cover & was as green as a leprechaun 🍀 that Halfords one looks ok to me but you can get cheaper on eBay
Ours doesn't have a cover over it, and only the 2nd owner from 2009 and we knew the people before and never had any work done to it, unless it fell off at the factory :D

Looking at the original earth strap it has right angle ends, would it matter if the replacement doesn't, like the one above? I can't quite remember how it looked down there when I greased the slave cylinder.

Ours doesn't have a cover over it, and only the 2nd owner from 2009 and we knew the people before and never had any work done to it, unless it fell off at the factory :D

Looking at the original earth strap it has right angle ends, would it matter if the replacement doesn't, like the one above? I can't quite remember how it looked down there when I greased the slave cylinder.
With fiat who knows 🙈 yes the original has angled ends but it doesn’t need to! It’s good practice to renew the earth strap on a 500 over 5 yrs from the amount of people that have had to change them!!
Now getting the original off the gearbox end is hard! Make sure you wd and let it soak in.. mine came off eventually in one complete piece (not just the nut) you will understand when u get in there! You have to move the slave first too!

With fiat who knows 🙈 yes the original has angled ends but it doesn’t need to! It’s good practice to renew the earth strap on a 500 over 5 yrs from the amount of people that have had to change them!!
Now getting the original off the gearbox end is hard! Make sure you wd and let it soak in.. mine came off eventually in one complete piece (not just the nut) you will understand when u get in there! You have to move the slave first too!
Ah cool, which strap did you use if you dont mind me asking, i'd like to get one tried and tested at least. Be worth changing it anyway even if its not the cause of the problems.

I think after thats changed if i do ever get the issue again, then it'll be HT leads, then coil pack, then burn it

Ah cool, which strap did you use if you dont mind me asking, i'd like to get one tried and tested at least. Be worth changing it anyway even if its not the cause of the problems.

I think after thats changed if i do ever get the issue again, then it'll be HT leads, then coil pack, then burn it
Yes it was one very similar to the Halfords one ☝️ I can’t find the one I bought as it’s 2 years since! Trust me if you don’t change it now it will only crop up again! My car wouldn’t start because of mine 😂

Yes it was one very similar to the Halfords one ☝️ I can’t find the one I bought as it’s 2 years since! Trust me if you don’t change it now it will only crop up again! My car wouldn’t start because of mine 😂
Me again, that Halfords one is 45cm, is that long enough or shall I get the 75cm version?

30cm should be quite enough
I edited it as it’s 45cm, so hoping that’s ample :)

my wife’s a bit hesitant to drive it just incase it loses power again.

I’m still not convinced the earth strap would cause the misfire alert but as it’s only a few quid its worth a try, especially like you said they should be replaced anyway

I edited it as it’s 45cm, so hoping that’s ample :)

my wife’s a bit hesitant to drive it just incase it loses power again.

I’m still not convinced the earth strap would cause the misfire alert but as it’s only a few quid its worth a try, especially like you said they should be replaced anyway
A bad earth strap as I’ve experienced can stop the car starting
Also can cause all sorts of other issues … so is good practice to change it either way

Hopefully it will work out but keep us informed!

I’ve just changed it and like I said earlier it never seemed to come with a plastic cover, I’ve seen the newer ones and it’s not much of a cover either as it’s very loose so not sure what the point is.

I bought the Halfords 45cm negative lead and was almost too long but as the lead was very flexible it was fine.

Heres some pictures of my old earth strap

B9CAA6A7-32C6-4439-8D60-E3D1BCEB5F60.jpeg603F41B0-F456-4968-B0A8-EB274D384C4E.jpeg603F41B0-F456-4968-B0A8-EB274D384C4E.jpeg
Didn’t have that right angle connector like the newer ones either

Attachments

• F012AE35-85E1-4E88-95AA-204FC760E67A.jpeg
    F012AE35-85E1-4E88-95AA-204FC760E67A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
I’ve just changed it and like I said earlier it never seemed to come with a plastic cover, I’ve seen the newer ones and it’s not much of a cover either as it’s very loose so not sure what the point is.

I bought the Halfords 45cm negative lead and was almost too long but as the lead was very flexible it was fine.

Heres some pictures of my old earth strap

View attachment 407983View attachment 407984View attachment 407984
Didn’t have that right angle connector like the newer ones either
Yeah that looks a bit past it! I’ve seen worse though! Mine was green!
Those angled ends obviously don’t make any difference as my new one didn’t have any such angles and that’s been fine!

Back