General Fiat 500 Convertible Third Brake Light.

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 Convertible Third Brake Light.

Dave500

Hello, is there anyone who could help please. Two problems related to a 2013 Fiat 500 convertible, third brake light not all leds working.
The first issue is took Lamp to pieces to see if it was a dry solder joint, but likes two banks of 3 leds just flickered on and one bank of 3 not working and led lens missing. Is there any local plc repairers in warwickshire where anyone has has this repaired ? Second issue is school boy error, when taking the inner lining out of clip slot channel, I have lost one barb clip behind trim, anyone know how to get a spare and where from please, this is a 2013 car. Appreciate any help.
Kind regards
Dave

Hi, has anyone fixed one of these lamps ? Just have it apart, have a couple of solutions, but if I could get a couple of sod leds it could be fixed.

Hi Dave ,

I have the same problem , I cannot find how to get access to the spoiler , the head lining appears to be attached to the window , can you explain how you did it ?

Graham

Hi, probably too late now, but if you look on the forum you will see you have to simply go under the fabric inside car on lower edge, and there are some captive clips that just need unhooking and that releases the fabric, you can then get to the screws to the spoiler quite easily. Just put some white rag under the two outer clips so they don’t fall into the cavity, as one of mine did and I had to make one out of another spring steel clip. Now once lamp is out, the fun starts. If you plug it in you may see only a certain number have failed, ie 3 of them I think. Be very careful to use a sharp Stanley or modellers knife and go all round the back cover, these are ultra sonically welded together in manufacture, you just need to break that bond. DO NOT be rushing and bend the pcb, as the led.s push through holes in the reflector and you will just bugger up the contacts to board. Take time and take the pcb vertically upwards, try not to touch components, and if you look where pcb is soldered to board you will see a dry joint, ie solder breaking away from the pin. Just use a little slim soldering iron and possibly flux and just gently re flow the solder. Once you have done the dry joints on that bank of leds only, just plug into the vehicle harness and put strip of wood under brake pedal to see if all leds now work, if not try again. As I buggered up my pcb, I used a strip of leds on the tape, but had to ease the holes in the reflector and simply add the connector wires, still works perfectly now. Once done, just silicone seal the back cover in place to seal from water and moisture. Not simple, but better than £250 for a new one. Now I can see how to do it, I would have been more careful taking pcb out.

Back