General Fiat 500 2015

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 2015

Viney1977

Hi all, my wife has a fiat 500. she hasn’t driven it for a few days but when she did it had a few warning lights on!! Airbag lights are on plus it says fuel cut off unavailable all so the mileage is flashing!! I’ve had the battery Checked today which is ok!! At kwikfit and also they have plugged the car in!! These are the codes. The car has not been in a crash just left in the cold for a few days. Any help would be really greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 07B53AA8-29C8-4990-856A-DF5AFCBAB15F.jpeg
    07B53AA8-29C8-4990-856A-DF5AFCBAB15F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 104
  • FA415595-BF1A-4729-BFAB-B22E2DFA8E2D.jpeg
    FA415595-BF1A-4729-BFAB-B22E2DFA8E2D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
Sit in driver's seat wearing the seatbelt, parking brake on, start the engine.

I believe that your so called 'few' warning lights on with engine running would be:

Driver airbag light
Passenger airbag light (if it was enabled from the cluster menu) - and now the option not showing up when you go through the menu
Seat belt warning light
Warning triangle with exclamation
and Fuel cut-off unavailable showing for a few seconds from engine start-up on the cluster

These faults are all related to and the results of the 'No communication with airbag control module' fault.

Same as on the attached photo (disregard the Stop-Start amber light on the top right)

Attachments

• 20221025_191247.jpg
    20221025_191247.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
Starting with the very basics check that the carpet on both driver and passenger side behind the centre console is not wet. This is the area left to the clutch pedal on a RHD car.

Also check and confirm that under the wiper scuttle is not full of water and even if not, check that the drains are not blocked. There are posts here and on Youtube about how to check and clean the drains. If they are blocked water will find its way down into the cabin soaking the airbag module.

@typecastboy has a good Youtube video about this here:

Next is to check the fuses in both fuse boxes, one in the engine compartment, another inside and at the back of the glove compartment in the cabin passenger side on a RHD car. I cannot recall from memory the relevant ones, so have them all checked.

Please excuse me splitting this in separate posts as I am doing it in between jobs. Though an earth strap could be the issue, with it being the common link to all the onboard electrics for the vehicle I think it would affect other modules too if it was the cause. Having said that it does make sense suggesting cleaning the earth points from battery to chassis leg to the gearbox. Also a must check is the battery voltage from the +ve terminal of the battery to any metal part on the engine for -ve. It should give 12.3 Volts to 12.6 Volts, 12.6 V the better, and that likely rules out bad earths. Here I am assuming that the battery is not tired and holding up to cranking power.

If the original poster has access to and can use a multimeter and even better with a breakout box too then we have to move to testing the CAN BUS system voltages and resistances.

This all leads me to suspect a faulty airbag module from the symptoms and my previous experience on my own car, but before starting to throw money and parts at the car I think it is wiser to move step by step.

Last edited:
Please excuse me splitting this in separate posts as I am doing it in between jobs. Though an earth strap could be the issue, with it being the common link to all the onboard electrics for the vehicle I think it would affect other modules too if it was the cause. Having said that it does make sense suggesting cleaning the earth points from battery to chassis leg to the gearbox. Also a must check is the battery voltage from the +ve terminal of the battery to any metal part on the engine for -ve. It should give 12.3 Volts to 12.6 Volts, 12.6 V the better, and that likely rules out bad earths. Here I am assuming that the battery is not tired and holding up to cranking power.

If the original poster has access to and can use a multimeter and even better with a breakout box too then we have to move to testing the CAN BUS system voltages and resistances.

This all leads me to suspect a faulty airbag module from the symptoms and my previous experience on my own car, but before starting to throw money and parts at the car I think it is wiser to move step by step.
On the contrary, I have had 500s with all sorts of spurious errors due to the earth strap. Usually affects starting and steering intermittently but is always a good cheap replacement (£4 on ebay) to try. You may well be right and a propr MES diagnosis may well point to a faulty ECU.

On the contrary, I have had 500s with all sorts of spurious errors due to the earth strap. Usually affects starting and steering intermittently but is always a good cheap replacement (£4 on ebay) to try. You may well be right and a propr MES diagnosis may well point to a faulty ECU.
I’ve had the battery tested, which is ok at I’ve also looked at the earth strap which looks brand new. I’m thinking It points to the airbag ecu 😭😭

Can you use a multimeter so we can help you can check the bus system? Also. can you have it scanned with MES too as someone previously suggested? If yes have a report saved in pdf so you can upload it here. Getting the fault codes will be more helpful to narrow down.

Yeah I live in Weymouth Dorset and everywhere is shut for Christmas now!! I’ll have to get all what you’ve mentioned done in January now!! I’ll be back in the new year!! Thank you everyone for your help 👌

Back