Technical Fiat 500 2013 Issues after timing belt replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 2013 Issues after timing belt replacement

twales14

Hi all,

My partner recently had the timing/cam belt replaced on her 2013 Fiat 500, the first long journey since then (30 minutes/most national speed limit) the car's Malfunction Indicator Lamp came on (as well as the warning light). The car began to jolt and then the accelerator lost power. After an hour or so, we turned the car back on, got it checked over - no warning lights and running fine (haven't done a longer journey yet). We're quite hesitant about taking it on a longer journey in case the same happens in a more dangerous location.
Any advice is appreciated - current mechanic suggests it may be some contaminated fuel from the recent fuel crisis but seems to be related to cam/time belt replacement.

Many thanks.

Is this at high rpm/motorways speeds?

If so my guess would be it need a procedure called a. Phonic wheel realarn this is supposed to be carried out after doing a belt change
This normal gives a phantom misfire but dosnt effect running however one person recently had it cause an actual misfire

Is this at high rpm/motorways speeds?

If so my guess would be it need a procedure called a. Phonic wheel realarn this is supposed to be carried out after doing a belt change
This normal gives a phantom misfire but dosnt effect running however one person recently had it cause an actual misfire
Hi, yes happened after 30 minutes at 60mph/70mph. Thanks!

The more you read about the timing belt process, the more you realise that fiat seriously screwed up the simplest timing system there is.

The more you read about the timing belt process, the more you realise that fiat seriously screwed up the simplest timing system there is.

Its a system that uses 2 fixed points to confirm 'timing'

After a CHANGE of position it 'sees' an error and makes the operator aware.. with little in the way of inconvenience

My coleagues Golf diesel is back in the garage for the same thing..

THE GARAGE need to revisit the timing..and correct alignment of the Pulses

This is of course a free operation..as it forms a part of the beltchange procedure.

(Interstingly the Volkswagen waterpump is
Electric :good
Not another pulley on the belt run :good
Has Plastic vanes : not so good..)

Last edited:

Seems to be more a problem with garagest not knowing the correct procedures
I don't know if the software they use for tech information dosnt have info about it
Or they simply don't pay attention to it

No, it's fiat using the dumbest system for changing a timing belt around. I've done a few dozen conventional belts over the years in different cars. Line up the marks, fit the belt, set the tensioner, and vroom, car runs perfectly. It's should be so simple.
Single cam, twin cam, quad cam, all the exact same and perfect running.

I have had the same problem with my car going into limp mode at high speeds. It was recommended on here that I went to Small Car Services near Southampton, I live in London, but I am glad I went because Dean and Mark explained that if your timing belt is out by a fraction it can cause this. They fixed the problem. Hope that helps.

Three years ago Fiat Battersea charged me £680 for changing the plugs and the coil pack. They di£ not look at the timing belt.

Back