Technical Fiat 500 1.4 16V Engine Noise

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 1.4 16V Engine Noise

Hi all. I'm new to the Fiat 500 Section as I tend to trawl the Fiat Bravo sections but my other half has a Fiat 500 1.4 16V. Now I'm used to driving the Fiat 500 1.2 8V lease cars we have at work and under load the engine seems relatively quite within the cabin. However the 1.4 16V seems to be quite loud when being rev'd and sounding meaner. Is this how it should be or is there sound proofing missing?

Thanks in advance chaps.

It loves to sing! It is no V12 ferrari of course but for 4 cylinders that is as good as it gets!
Take it to 7,000 and hear it then.

So is this normal for the 1.4 16V to have such a loud tone within the car compared to the 1.2 8V?

Yes - we have had a 1.2 and now have the 1.4 Sport

I really like it and if Mrs G would let me I would stick a performance exhasut on to liberate some more noise.....

I have had 2 '500' 1.4 16V. The first with 39K miles (a '08) and currently a 5Kmiles '09 lounge - but they both have the Euro 4 engine.
The older one was bit meaner (it was a sport model) and had been 'driven' by the previous owner. Shocks in the suspension had to be replaced at 38K and despite this 'upgrade' the ride would 'crash'. Initially I put in a K&N air filter - didn't make any difference and then put in a Cold air induction kit from Pipercross - that made a lovely sound and suited the boy racer image of the car but the ECU had to be reset to feel anything 'extra'.
The new one is a bit more civilised, is not as 'loose' but still rasps a bit - it's more mooted but then it's only done 5K miles. I have resisted the temptation to put a CAI on this preferring to spend the money on a performance manifold, which may never happen since 'next year is around the corner'. I feel they improved the sound insulation and ride on the June '09 model but it might just be a case of it not having been thrashed.
There has been one report of a loose engine mounting in the 1.4 so once there isn't too much noise then it sounds pretty 'normal'.
What year is your car and what’s the mileage?

P.S. the power curve tails off on the 1.4 before 6,000 rpm. If you modify the engine for more power then it might justify redlining it on a track day.
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/265055-induction-cold-air-feed-2.html?p=2749720

I have had 2 '500' 1.4 16V. The first with 39K miles (a '08) and currently a 5Kmiles '09 lounge - but they both have the Euro 4 engine.
The older one was bit meaner (it was a sport model) and had been 'driven' by the previous owner. Shocks in the suspension had to be replaced at 38K and despite this 'upgrade' the ride would 'crash'. Initially I put in a K&N air filter - didn't make any difference and then put in a Cold air induction kit from Pipercross - that made a lovely sound and suited the boy racer image of the car but the ECU had to be reset to feel anything 'extra'.
The new one is a bit more civilised, is not as 'loose' but still rasps a bit - it's more mooted but then it's only done 5K miles. I have resisted the temptation to put a CAI on this preferring to spend the money on a performance manifold, which may never happen since 'next year is around the corner'. I feel they improved the sound insulation and ride on the June '09 model but it might just be a case of it not having been thrashed.
There has been one report of a loose engine mounting in the 1.4 so once there isn't too much noise then it sounds pretty 'normal'.
What year is your car and what’s the mileage?

P.S. the power curve tails off on the 1.4 before 6,000 rpm. If you modify the engine for more power then it might justify redlining it on a track day.
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/265055-induction-cold-air-feed-2.html?p=2749720

Thanks for the reply.

The car is a 2009 (09) Fiat 500 Lounge 1.4 16V with 8K on the clock. It just sounds like our fiat 500 wants to bite the car in fronts head off when you floor it. Drive it normally and not rev it hard it sounds normal.

Thanks for the reply.

The car is a 2009 (09) Fiat 500 Lounge 1.4 16V with 8K on the clock. It just sounds like our fiat 500 wants to bite the car in fronts head off when you floor it. Drive it normally and not rev it hard it sounds normal.

If there's no induction kit on the car replacing the filter to something like an ITG foam based filter can give more of a rasp but it certainly wouldn't be 'biting the car in front's head off' . But Maxi might have a point - maybe check for loose connections or if someone has put a 'hole' in the Airbox.

Still if its 'performing', it sounds like you have a good one that's been properly broken in.(y)

The 1.4 will sound a bit louder than the 1.2. The 1.2 drives best at low revs (more torque at low revs). The 1.4 will rev more freely as it is a 16 valve engine, but it needs to be driven at higher revs to perform at its best.

Try flooring it in 2nd out of a round about in a 60mph zone. Just make sure theres no one in front! It starts to sound great after 4000rpm

Ok perhaps I was being a bit OTT with the car wanting to bite the car in fronts head off but it seems to sound twice as loud as a 1.2. Its very raspy the engine note. I'm used to driving diesels.

Well thanks for all your comments, I guess its natural for the 1.4 16V to have a bit of a sporty engine noise.

Back