Technical Fiat 500 1.2 (2012)

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 1.2 (2012)

Stu01

Hi everyone

My wife’s fiat 500 2012 1.2 pop has a problem 🤔

Both abs and warning light is faintly glowing? It’s not bright like the rest of the lights

Any idea where to start on trying to find what the problem is?

Someone said could be the cluster but don’t think it is

Thanks for your help as I’m quite stuck on this

Attachments

• C7BD0FCB-2379-4E0A-BB2A-8AA5E66DEE39.jpeg
    C7BD0FCB-2379-4E0A-BB2A-8AA5E66DEE39.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • AA84E637-60DB-4C0F-BF35-6E1C04406735.jpeg
    AA84E637-60DB-4C0F-BF35-6E1C04406735.jpeg
    972.8 KB · Views: 28
Someone said could be the cluster
There's a good chance they could be right. Lights which are either permanently illuminated, often dimly, and lights which flash in time with the indicator(s) (usually the left one) are likely to indicate (pardon the pun) that the cluster is faulty. Getting this problem fixed by a franchised dealer is likely to result in a four figure bill.

Just google "Fiat 500 instrument cluster repair" and you'll both find out more about this issue, and find folks who are capable of repairing your existing cluster.

You can also buy a discounted new cluster here; if you're thinking of doing this, a donation to the forum will get you a code for a further 10% off those prices.

Some folks have also solved this by buying a secondhand cluster. This isn't without problems of its own; the mileage must be less than your car has covered (it can be adjusted up, but not down), it'll need programming to the car, and a secondhand unit may be only a few weeks away from developing a similar fault. Also, low mileage clusters are getting harder to find (and consequently getting more expensive).

Last edited:
There is a suggestion that this fault could be caused by the well known "rear hatch wiring issue" where the wires to the hatch short out causing other systems to fail, I highly recommend you check the wires going to the tail gate fully inspecting them, also add the well known engine earth cable that requires replacing if its not been done already.
Question, does everything on the tailgate work correctly? and purely out of interest do the day running lights work as usually they just get turned off rather than replacing a bulb!

There's a good chance they could be right. Lights which are either permanently illuminated, often dimly, and lights which flash in time with the indicator(s) (usually the left one) are likely to indicate (pardon the pun) that the cluster is faulty. Getting this problem fixed by a franchised dealer is likely to result in a four figure bill.

Just google "Fiat 500 instrument cluster repair" and you'll both find out more about this issue, and find folks who are capable of repairing your existing cluster.

You can also buy a discounted new cluster here; if you're thinking of doing this, a donation to the forum will get you a code for a further 10% off those prices.

Some folks have also solved this by buying a secondhand cluster. This isn't without problems of its own; the mileage must be less than your car has covered (it can be adjusted up, but not down), it'll need programming to the car, and a secondhand unit may be only a few weeks away from developing a similar fault. Also, low mileage clusters are getting harder to find (and consequently getting more expensive).
Brilliant thanks so much

Brilliant thanks so much, when she indicates right it flickers, she did go over a big pothole recently and also when you put the headlights on the dash stopped lighting up but everything else worked without fault 🤔 wondering now if the huge pothole is to blame or it just happened?? I will look on Google for a repair place near me

There is a suggestion that this fault could be caused by the well known "rear hatch wiring issue" where the wires to the hatch short out causing other systems to fail, I highly recommend you check the wires going to the tail gate fully inspecting them, also add the well known engine earth cable that requires replacing if its not been done already.
Question, does everything on the tailgate work correctly? and purely out of interest do the day running lights work as usually they just get turned off rather than replacing a bulb!
I will have a look first thing in the morning for the wiring on the tail gate everything else works fine, she did say when she put the headlights on the dash background lights didn’t come on but everything else worked?? I checked fues and there all ok

I will have a look first thing in the morning for the wiring on the tail gate everything else works fine, she did say when she put the headlights on the dash background lights didn’t come on but everything else worked?? I checked fues and there all ok
Note if the ambient light is sufficiently high when the lights are put on the dash may not light up? say during the day.
Checking the tailgate wiring is not a quick job, you need check this thread https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/maybelline-has-thrown-a-hissy-fit.423837/

Checking the tailgate wiring is not a quick job
And if you are going to check the tailgate wiring (a good suggestion and worth doing), disconnect the negative quick release terminal on the battery first. That way, if there is a problem with the wiring, you won't risk shorting something else out and causing another issue.

The car stores the radio code in the body computer, and the fuel trims are kept in non-volatile memory, so the only thing you'll need to reset when you reconnect it is the time on the clock.

And to anyone else reading this, some say the cluster fault issue is exacerbated by moisture, so running the A/C in damp weather (it also works as a dehumidifier) may help prevent this from occurring in the first place.

And if you are going to check the tailgate wiring (a good suggestion and worth doing), disconnect the negative quick release terminal on the battery first. That way, if there is a problem with the wiring, you won't risk shorting something else out and causing another issue.

The car stores the radio code in the body computer, and the fuel trims are kept in non-volatile memory, so the only thing you'll need to reset when you reconnect it is the time on the clock.

And to anyone else reading this, some say the cluster fault issue is exacerbated by moisture, so running the A/C in damp weather (it also works as a dehumidifier) may help prevent this from occurring in the first place.
Thanks mate appreciate your help on this will keep you posted I have messaged a repair place down here in Portsmouth just waiting for a response

Rasputin did this now and again.. but I had to replace the central LCD display last year and the glowing light hasn't appeared since.

I don't know how the LCD would affect it.. but removing and refitting the cluster might have given the earths a re-seat... so if you take the cluster out anyway, it may be worth just cleaning up the connector plug with some electrical spray, then just assembling it again to see if that works.

If not, then the cluster is already out, so you can do Plan B.

Ralf S.

Back