General Few Problems developing!

Currently reading:
General Few Problems developing!

Firstly thanks for looking because i realise this has been answered previously however i cannot find anything exactly like mine?!?

As you know i drive a 5dr mk2 punto on FK Silverline coilovers wound down to the bottom on the front. Its pretty low and it was bound to lead to problems, however im not sure what the problems are.. please see below:

1) Banging when accelerating (from rear) and when i let the accelerator up to suddenly whilst slowing down??

2) Knocking on right hand bends? fom the front left. (im sure its left hand driveshaft but my mechanic is saying its not the driveshaft and he cant see anything wrong with the car!!)

3) Bad knocking as with one but this time in reverse??

thanks for your time everyone!

How about an exhaust mount banging on the "transmission" tunnel. They swing sideways on bends.

Banging on acceleration could be suspension parts hitting bodywork due to it running too low.

Rear trailing arm bush, if not put it back to normal suspension wise :)

1) As stated probably exhaust.

2) Knocking on right hand bends? fom the front left. (im sure its left hand driveshaft but my mechanic is saying its not the driveshaft and he cant see anything wrong with the car!!)
+

If not drive shafts this may be the gearbox. You state this happens in reverse , and righthand bends. Does it happen in all gears on the bends?
You see what can happen: The tollerences on these small car gearboxes can be very tight, You can have a thrust bearing or whatever in the box which works perfectly fine but is slightly loose, when turning one way the centrifugal forces let the bearing slide a few milimeters and catch, turning the other way this does not happen as the forces push the bearing into its rightful place.
I had this problem on a Honda and this is the diagnosis I was given. It was fixed under warantee as car was very new but I was told that nothing should break , or it would take a very long time to break. Its just annoying.
What I describe is not a load clanking just an annoying ta p tap tap. If its in the gearbox it likely will only effect certain gears. If you notice in 2nd try same bend it 3rd or even 5th if can manage it.

1) As stated probably exhaust.

+

If not drive shafts this may be the gearbox. You state this happens in reverse , and righthand bends. Does it happen in all gears on the bends?
You see what can happen: The tollerences on these small car gearboxes can be very tight, You can have a thrust bearing or whatever in the box which works perfectly fine but is slightly loose, when turning one way the centrifugal forces let the bearing slide a few milimeters and catch, turning the other way this does not happen as the forces push the bearing into its rightful place.
I had this problem on a Honda and this is the diagnosis I was given. It was fixed under warantee as car was very new but I was told that nothing should break , or it would take a very long time to break. Its just annoying.
What I describe is not a load clanking just an annoying ta p tap tap. If its in the gearbox it likely will only effect certain gears. If you notice in 2nd try same bend it 3rd or even 5th if can manage it.

i think fifth would be pushing it but i will give it a damn good go.. thankyou!!

Back