february 2008 greener london thing?

Currently reading:
february 2008 greener london thing?

lez-title.gif

cool live lezzers :)

how so? it only affects vans, lorries, etc, which most people complain about due to excessive smoking and and the such like, the operators are being told to bring the vehicles up to a minimum of euro 3 standard

Several reasons for me. Just because a lorry was built to Euro 3 standards doesn't mean it is maintained to a standard to keep those emissions or even mantained to a safe standard.

But the most important reason, last time I checked London was part of the UK. The UK is governed by the "Goverment" and London is not independent. If these lorries have to been removed from the roads, then central goverment should do it. All this does it force the older lorries to work outside London, so basically you move the pollution to other area's, it solves nothing. At the moment they are legal and that should be all that is required to drive on the roads. There is just as much congestion in other cities, so can you imagine what would happen if they all introduced this tax or another tax they decided was a good idea. You could end up with one tax in London and then the minute you drive into Berkshire you could get taxed for some other emission. It could turn into a great revenue income for councils all over the country and we all end up paying for it.

It's like the new emission based congestion charge for cars. Larger cars will have to pay £25 and there will be no resident discount. So those people who bought a car 3 or 4 years ago (or longer) will now have to sell them. And as so many will come up for sale, they will be worth nothing. He claims it is to prevent global warming, but that is nothing to do with running London. That is a job for central Goverment, they already introduced higher road tax, fuel tax etc. If it applied to new cars then people would have a choice when they bought one, but to make it count for all cars it stupid.

If he is worried about global warming how come the simple things haven't been addressed like banning outdoor patio gas heaters, energy efficient lighting (look at Piccadilly Circus), rules on enegy efficient office air conditioning, make lorry companies only carry full loads into London (4 half empty lorries with Euro 3 driving round London are worse than 1 slightly older non compliant one).

Sorry for the rant, but it is such a false policy.

Last edited:
it's not global warming that is driving the policy in the main:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/about/2524.aspx

and just like a car, if the operator cannot, or will not maintain the vehicle to a specified condition, then it shouldn't be on the road, and if they won't maintain it, perhaps we should be asking are they fit to be running such vehicles.

just as the rest of us have our cross to bear of maintainence bills, so do the hauliers, coach companies, etc, to paraphrase what i get get told when complaining about high prices for fuel, parts, insurance, etc..."deal with it, or don't drive"

It has nothing to do with maintenance, it is about effectively banning large numbers of vehicles from the capital city. Vehicles which are perfectly legal anywhere else, but have fallen foul of the political machinations of people that the vast majority of us have no way of asserting our democratic will on because we live outside Greater London.

and just like a car, if the operator cannot, or will not maintain the vehicle to a specified condition, then it shouldn't be on the road, and if they won't maintain it, perhaps we should be asking are they fit to be running such vehicles.

just as the rest of us have our cross to bear of maintainence bills, so do the hauliers, coach companies, etc, to paraphrase what i get get told when complaining about high prices for fuel, parts, insurance, etc..."deal with it, or don't drive"

You and I both know operators will mostly do the bare minimum. A fairer tax would be on how efficiently the lorry is being used, i.e full load etc. If they set up a centralised distribution centre they could take loads of lorries of the road, i.e all lorries come into a depot outside of London and then lorries are loaded 100% full with all deliveries in the same location. It's amazing how many lorries deliver one consignment in one part of London and then drive across to the other side to deliver another one and on the opposite side of the road a lorry is going in the opposite direction doing the same thing. More complex than whacking a tax on a lorry coming in, but actually a better solution.

This tax can only come from central Goverment and has to be a national issue. Also if you look at the proposals for the £25.00 charge for larger cars, it does say the main reason is to address global warming, which again is a central responsibility.

Quote:

"Tackling climate change is a key priority for the Mayor. The Climate
Change Action Plan, launched in February 2007, aims to reduce London’s
CO2 emissions to 60% below 1990 levels by the year 2025 and also to
limit total CO2 emissions between now and then to 600 million tonnes.
This is certainly challenging but the Action Plan sets out how, over the
next ten years, London can work towards this goal."

Don't get me wrong, the issue has to be addressed, but not just by London independent to everywhere else in the UK. Only 22% of London's CO2 comes from traffic and of that only half is cars, so basically only 11% comes from cars and motorbikes. Isn't it strange that there is no charge for having a house with an old boiler fitted or no insulation (cheaper to change than a car and not just visiting for the day) or not having energy efficient lights in your office etc. The focus on vehicles is totally out of proportion to all the other emitters of CO2 and pollution, but they are an easy target.

As I said before if Berkshire, Hampshire etc all decided to do similar we could get a congestion charge everytime we got in the car and have to pay three different councils in the evening. London is no different to any other major city, except the Mayor thinks he is the Prime Minister of London rather than council leader.

Anyway this is far too serious for Christmas holidays and I am only really p**sed off because I have to pay it and don't want to drive a car which runs on Duracells :).

Last edited:
Ppppffftttttt what a confusing way of doing things! It worries me that people actually get paid for dreaming this lot up and putting it into practice :( I agree with above comments that it should be done centrally and if they are taken off our roads, it should be all our roads, not just London's roads.

And as someone who runs on biofuels, I wish they wouldn't just take manufacturer's emissions and be done with that, because some of us may not produce that much.

Back