General Faulty Sat Nav... help!

Currently reading:
General Faulty Sat Nav... help!

Wyldegirl

Hiya.
I have an 02 Stilo Arbarth with that Sat Nav thingy... in the past week of so the sat nav has been playing up. the display screen keeps flicking between the close up of the road I am on and an arrow in the middle of nowhere. if you switch the display to info the co-ordiates from the satelites are going mad too.

Any ideas? my Fiat garage are useless so i thought i'd try here first.

thanks in advance

wyldegirl.

Beats me how you can look at the sat nav , put your lippy on , and drive at the same time:D

Is it possible that the connection to the GPS is loose and you're getting an intermittant connection.

If not, it's most likely something internal to the unit.

Personally I got rid of my sat. nav. unit ages ago. It's pretty awful.

I have no qualms about the OEM Nav+ system - it meets my needs (y)

OK, it does sound like a dodgy GPS antenna connection - not sure of the exact location of it, without looking it up, but I know a few people who will.

Stuart DemonD said:
I have no qualms about the OEM Nav+ system - it meets my needs (y)

OK, it does sound like a dodgy GPS antenna connection - not sure of the exact location of it, without looking it up, but I know a few people who will.

thanks - is this something that I can fix [am not as blonde as first reply would like to believe!]. Or, a garage jobby? bloody thing drives me mad:bang: .

Hey wyldegirl

Right, the Sat Nav antenna is located in the base of the aerial located on the roof; I've been told it's very sensitive to knocks, and the unscrewable antenna has been replaced in December 2002. So, have you taken the car through a car wash or rolled it onto it's roof lately :p

My recommendation would be to remove the Sat Nav unit from the dash, recheck all connections / wires, then reflash the unit; sometimes, a simple reboot can do it too! If you don't want to remove it, remove fuses 39 and 49, leave for an hour, put fuses back in and then retry; this will have disconnected the unit from all power for an hour to cold boot it.

The problem you've given us is definitely a GPS signal fault; we used to have this on the sat nav units at work (halfords). Sometimes a simple reset would do, and units can sometimes take up to 15 minutes to register properly.

Give that a go, and let me know how it goes :D

Last edited:
Wyldegirl said:
Hiya.
I have an 02 Stilo Arbarth with that Sat Nav thingy... in the past week of so the sat nav has been playing up. the display screen keeps flicking between the close up of the road I am on and an arrow in the middle of nowhere. if you switch the display to info the co-ordiates from the satelites are going mad too.

Any ideas? my Fiat garage are useless so i thought i'd try here first.

thanks in advance

wyldegirl.

Sounds like theres a problem with the connection between your car and the GPS satelites - most probably the aeriel base unit.

Does the small satelite in the display (top left) stay green when this happens ?

What version of connect + are you on ? - 9.8 is the latest i think still - i have 04' Abarth with this version.

Mines broken and I didnt realise until reading this post that the satellite should be green!

I guess I've got a bad connection/antenna. Its a Feb 2002 51 plate Abarth, do you reckon will i need to attack from the inside or on the roof to check connections to the antenna.

Also, any tips on getting the head unit out to check the GT5 connections? I've read other posts about using a couple of coathangers but not pushing them in too far - not sure how far too far is!!

Back