General Fault code P0115

Currently reading:
General Fault code P0115

BambOObeast

Today's headache, car hard to start when cold, fine when warm, OBD2 fault code showing P0115 engine coolant temp circuit malfunction.... is this a possible cause for the poor cold starting. Or something else,?
Any ideas on how to cure either of these problems, all information gratefully received..

Today's headache, car hard to start when cold, fine when warm, OBD2 fault code showing P0115 engine coolant temp circuit malfunction.... is this a possible cause for the poor cold starting. Or something else,?
Any ideas on how to cure either of these problems, all information gratefully received..
Or anybody got a wiring diagram for the engine coolant system, or where I can get one from..

Thanks for your info, I was hoping someone else might have had the same fault code ,and could give me some pointers as to where to start fault finding, without a wiring diagram and schematic of the components, I've got no idea where to start looking.thanks anyway..

Thanks for your info, I was hoping someone else might have had the same fault code ,and could give me some pointers as to where to start fault finding, without a wiring diagram and schematic of the components, I've got no idea where to start looking.thanks anyway..
Yes lots of people have had the same fault code.

Charlie was encouraging you to use the forum search function to find help from previous people's experience.

Hint- people have had your code and it turned out to be caused by something other than the coolant temp sensor.

Plus what engine is in car? Petrol? Diesel? Capacity?

It's a petrol 1.2 engine, I've looked on the forum, as suggested, and it seems the most common cause is the Map sensor, but then others have had a different code ( P0105) when the Map sensor is at fault, I've decided to change both the map and coolant temp sensors. For a start ,see what happens, the 1.2 petrol engine can be 8 valve or 16 valve ,how do I tell which mine is ?

Great searching :)
Post a picture of your engine and someone may be able to tell straight away.
Do you know what hp/kw it is that's another way to tell.

Only bought the car two weeks ago so no v5c yet back from DVLA.that would tell me that info. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and put on here..thanks for the tip...

Have you checked the reading of intake air temperature sensor on cold start? If it's not close to ambient temperature, the issue would then be the iat sensor which is integrated to TMAP sensor.

Be sure to buy only original Bosch map sensor which cost nearly a hundred euro but shop around; I found one for 40 euro! Any other brand could cause limp mode. Trust me , it happened to me!

For engine coolant temperature sensor, I would select Magneti Marelli or Hella. Sometimes it's cheaper to get the whole thermostat housing with sensor included for about 20€.

Thank thats very useful info.sorry to show my ignorance but how do I go about checking the intake sensor, is it something you can do with a obd2 code reader .?

Thank thats very useful info.sorry to show my ignorance but how do I go about checking the intake sensor, is it something you can do with a obd2 code reader .?
Hi,
If your code reader can display live data while engine is running then yes.
Live data is what the ecu is being told by the the sensors ie inlet air temperate, coolant temperature etc etc

If your code reader can only display fault codes then no.
Cheers Jack

The first attachment is on the drivers door frame the second is the data plate in the boot, neither seem to help, unless you know better...

Attachments

• IMG-20210310-WA0027.jpg
    IMG-20210310-WA0027.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20210310-WA0029.jpg
    IMG-20210310-WA0029.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 31
This may make me look daft, but how do I delete the image, I thought, highlighting it would give me a delete option but it doesn't.?

Back