FAO Tom or anyone mechanically/fuel minded

Currently reading:
FAO Tom or anyone mechanically/fuel minded

W

Wickford Jay

Blushing This morning while filling up my cab with fuel, it was 6.35am, I realised I was putting in unleaded and not diesel!!
As soon as I realised I took the nozzle out and went and paid for £8.44 of unleaded, 10.97 litres.
Now, I didn't start the engine at all, just called my local garage to come and tow a very embarassed Wickford Jay to their garage. When we got to the garage, some hour and a half later, one of the mechanics said he reckoned I would have been alright to start it up and drive away, it had almost 3/4 of a tank of diesel, one of the others said I'd better get it drained. It is an X reg Galaxy Tdi, what do other people reckon, is it worth paying the £80 for them to drain the tank, or risk it??

All help appreciated.

from my point of view id get it drained better to be safe!
nick

Drain it. Petrol does bad things to diesel injectors and pumps.

safer to drain but i THINK u can drive it. just keep topping it up so it dilutes it more and more

Smee

2597smeetag1.jpg

Thanks fella's, I've called them up and told them to go ahead, they're doing alright out of me this week, £80 for this today, and its going in tomorrow for a new CV Gaitor and Track Rod End, another £92 Oh well, more hours to be worked this week to pay for it, not seeing as much of the family, ferrying all the drunk and disorderly lot about at the weekend, I can't wait!