FAO Tom : LPG in HGT !

Currently reading:
FAO Tom : LPG in HGT !

B

Boorock

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to decide a LPG conversion in my highly modded HGT! (I can hear the crowd but because of the rising petrol prices a LPG conversion seems the wise choice)

I do have the following mods in my Mk1 HGT engine;

- C&B Cams 260/258
- Double intake Air Filter
- 60 cm. exhaust pipes
- Chip Tuning
- Upper cylinder cover is treated in order to rise the compression values

It is running good & I've reached 174.3 Bhp /196 Nm values at the dyno which is good enough for me.

So;

What should the LPG technology must be ?
- I know about the latest sequential types but any advices, points are welcomed.

Any recommended brands without problems ?
- Lovato, BRC are the most known brands any ideas ?

Help & advices needed :)

Thanks in advance...

Just talk to the installer you have chossen to do the conversion (check that he knows what he's doing, ask his past customers)
A lot of the systems are designed in Italy so won't have many problems just ask loads of questions first.
I had 5 years happy motoring in my converted Brava.

First you should get a multi point system, second they will configure your ECU for middle range of work in order to get the LPG to work right, next things you should consider.

Gas dont cool the valves, every 2 tanks of gas, you should use one tank petrol. It wold be good to get oil cam cooling installed, the engine gets a bit more hot, so change the cooling liquid, and in most cases here, be prepared to go to them ad least 3-4 times to get the ECU parameters right. Depends on the system you install.

sven3.jpg

Members Site - - - - - - - My Site

Indeedee, it must be a multipoint system. You will have to de-tune it a fair bit on the gas or as already said you may cook something expensive.

well i never had a problem with heat in my engine and it run on gas for over 5 years.
and as for running on petrol every now and then forget it it will run like a tank on petrol you'll end up changing back to gas after a few miles. lol

Doesnt it take approx 5 years to recoup the conversion costs? And add no resale value?

Depends on the mileage you do i recouped the cost of my conversion after the first year and after that it was like free motoring.
only lost the car due to a truck flattening the whole drivers side. :(
If it wasn't for that i'd still be driving it now.

sorry mate but all ive gtot to say is sell it and buy a diesel as it would be like giving the mona lisa a moustache.

donny lad has a very valid point, how much is the conversion going to cost? 500-700 quid? what is your bravo worth?cams have got to be worth a few quid, what sort of mpg do you get? mid to low 30s? or tuned jtd? i would do some serious maths before i went for the conversion

sig.jpg

Thanks Guys :)

Thanks all to you Guys,

Great points & ideas relieved...

donnylad got a marvelous point & humor though :)

Well, everything said seems right but I do need to save some bucks in order to cruise with my HGT.

Especially at the traffic jams I really get mad because of the meaningles consumption :(

Can you please check out the following links & decide which company seems that they know what they are dealing with ?

The LPG sector seems to be dominated by Italians but there are 2 Dutch firms pushing the limits...

BRC Gas Equipment (Italian)
http://www.brc.it/default.aspx?page=18&lang=en

LOVATO Gas (Italian)
http://www.lovatogas.com/

PRINS (Dutch)
http://www.prins-lpg.com/en/index.html

TELEFLEX GFI (Dutch)
http://www.teleflexpower.com/

According to the written data & the forum topics about the LPG conversions the only & main difference is created by TELEFLEX GFI !

They simply install the injectors "on the intake manifold" !!!
They do imitate the gasoline injection & added the common rail system in to it.
This unique features' benefits are precise injection timings & undecreased LPG pressure which points the LPG conversion to the LossLess stage !

They are insisting on power gains, not even mentioning any decreases after the LPG conversion...

The dealer installed a LPG kit on a Honda 2.2 Vtec Prelude & gained 3 Bhps on LPG ???

Is this possible ?

All the others install the injectors away & connect them to the intake manifold by a 10cm. hose...?

All of the LPG manufacturers prices seems equal...

So what & who would you chose if you were in my shoes ?

My expectations from the LPG Conversion are;

1- Problem Free Install & Running
2- Same Peformance with the Gasoline (A few gains will be welcomed too :)
3- Cost-effective maintenance
4- Affordability
5- Economy

Now, who would be the winner ?