General expansion tank

Currently reading:
General expansion tank

mattb25

hi there guys this might sound the dumbest question ever but what goes in the expansion tank? i bought a cinquecento last week thats been stood a year and ive cleaned out out today as it was like a rusty colour :/

ah thanks so i just fill that up to the max line? like i said it was a rusty colour so i cleaned it out with red hot water till it was clear so i just top it up with anti-freeze or coolant or mixture?? same as id top the radiator up??? :)

ah thanks so i just fill that up to the max line? like i said it was a rusty colour so i cleaned it out with red hot water till it was clear so i just top it up with anti-freeze or coolant or mixture?? same as id top the radiator up??? :)

Yes fill to max with a 50-50 water and coolant. Rusty colour will be just old coolant.

Coolant is what circulates through the engine and raditor so it's the same thing your topping up.

Remember to bleed once filled, there are two bleed valves one on the bulkhead
and one down behind the drivers light in engine bay,once filled and theres no leaking
turn heaters on to full and hot start engine then undo the top bleed valve screw it off
and look for a steady stream coming through with no bubbles then tighten that up
then do the lower one,can also let the car run to make sure the fan kicks in.

this might sound daft but where abouts is the bulkhead?? wheres the bleed screw on that and where abouts is the other 1 behind the lights?

Bulkhead is the thing seperating engine compartment from passenger/driver space (aka firewall).

So, bleeder there (not present on all 899s) is on the black "carpet" stuff, about central on the bulkhead, where the heater pipe (about 3/4", black pipe) goes through.

Front bleeder is on the end of a tube which pops up near to the windscreen washer filler on the driver side inner front wing, towards the front.

PS if you got red rusty water in coolent system this needs a good flush with a hose pipe through all pipes including matrix heater

Bulkhead is the thing seperating engine compartment from passenger/driver space (aka firewall).

So, bleeder there (not present on all 899s) is on the black "carpet" stuff, about central on the bulkhead, where the heater pipe (about 3/4", black pipe) goes through.

Front bleeder is on the end of a tube which pops up near to the windscreen washer filler on the driver side inner front wing, towards the front.

I've looked in the front under the passenger well all of the dashboard underneath and I can't find a bleed screw at all it's a 1993 l reg so what it have 1 on do you know?? I've found the 1 behind the lights though...

I took the expansion tank out and clean that as it was all rusty looking water so I need to fill it up with water?? And let it flow through the pipes??? How do I empty it???

Remove pipe on engine or raiditor and let water run clear make sur you use antifreeze when all done flush matrix pipes as well these are at the back of engine

Here ya go just took some pics just now. (y)

Attachments

• DSCF3589.JPG
    DSCF3589.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • DSCF3590.JPG
    DSCF3590.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCF3591.JPG
    DSCF3591.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
Coolant, not water. As it's fairly warm, you might want to dump whatever's in there and run it for a couple of days with a radiator flush. To empty, undo bottom radiator hose. You may have to replace the nasty FIAT hose clip with a new jubilee clip. Otherwise, 50/50 water/antifreeze.

Then bleed -- just fill the expansion tank to max, open up the front bleed nipple, wait till water comes out, tighten up. Then, turn heater to full, try with the rear one (if you have one!). Sometimes the rear one responds better if the engine is ticking over, but, for safety and sanity, try and do it with the engine cold..

Last edited:
Back