Technical Expansion Tank

Currently reading:
Technical Expansion Tank

Any one able to help me here.
Last night while I was in a que of traffic at the East Kilbride Cruise my Expansion Tank blew a Tennis Ball Sized hole in it.

I had NO warning just herad a loud POP and suddenlly just had steam everywhere.

I will try and get a picture up later today.

Thankfully with help from ycming we managed to get the expansion tank from his 899/1242cc Cinq to get me home.

Left East Kilbride just after 12am and got home just before 1am this morning, stopping 4times and drving at 50MPH with the drivers window partly open to prevent it from misting up.

Last edited:
The cap should blow off at its design pressure, but might have failed to do so.

The tank would only fall apart if it had a weak spot or the system went well over pressure.

If it is ok with your tank then, it was the tank, otherwise head gasket etc. Hope you lens him one of your water containers?

Noel

As Ming said I did have the a small amount of steam coming out of the bonnet last week when I was parking up at work, but nothing compared to lastnight.

P1000014.jpg

That's the Hole it blew.

P1000012.jpg

And that's the 899 Tank which we managed to bodge, so I could get home.

Last edited:
thats awsome!!! I've never seen that happe before, I've got a spare MPI tank if its any use to you, the only thing is the little pipe at the top's half snapped off, its go the cap tho.

I didn't think it was awsome at the time.
"POP!" Steam everywhere my reaction at the time "****!!".

Cheers for the offer anyway mate (y) , just bought one off the bay(eBay)

Andy,
Did you get a new one or second hand as I am currently searching for on on ebay and can only find four (of which three are for the wrong model !) Pah!
Thanks

Hx

Back