General Exhaust!

Currently reading:
General Exhaust!

bandido41

Bandido A Maneira!!
Hey everyone, does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can do about getting another exhaust system for my car i am just about to replace it for the 3rd time in less than 12 months would it be a wise idea to get a stainless steel cat back system (i would get one with the proper silencers though) or would it affect the perfomance of the car in a negative way? I just cant afford to be replacing the exhaust every 6 months by the way its a mark 2 bravo 1.6 HLX thanks guys and ladies.

:yeahthat:

there must be something wrong, i'd want to figure out what that was first, you dont want to destroy a nice new stainless system in a matter of months.

Yes the parts are always new cos i get them myself from my motor factor and fit them myself but they keep rusting through mainly the back box i have wondered if it isnt maybe cos the material they are using isnt inferior quality thats why i wanted to fit the stainless steel one. I have tried taking it back to the motor factors for the manufacturers warranty but because i fitted it myself they say it is not covered.

That is what i find strange, i had the car for about 18 months before i had to replace the exhaust and the exhaust that iw replaced was still the factory one after the first time its been about every 6 months it is rotting mainly on the back box casing

It will be warranted there having you over, sounds like you only do short trips and not getting rid of the condensation water out of the exhaust, check your receipt, cant go wrong with stainless tho! Ant!

Well true enough my average trip is hardly lonmg enough to warm up the car and also i mainly only use it on weekends but what i find strange is why the factry exhaust lasted so long and why the after market ones only last 6 months?

The only thing putting me off stainless is that i have read somewhere on here that they can affect the perfomance of the car in a negative way which is somethinhg i dont want so what would be the best opttion to go for on the stainless?

very strange :confused:

do you live under the sea?
or maybe in a salt factory?

if rust is the problem then sticking a stainless system on should put an end to your exhaust worries forever.

a cat back system can affect performance for better or worse because i'm pretty sure bravo/as get some of the required back pressure from the cat back part of the exhaust. if you stick a wider exhaust on (with the middle box removed as with most of the systems i've seen) it will lower the overall back pressure.

that can play hell with your bottom end torque, but will give more top end power. overall it isnt a satisfying result on most cars. bottom end torque is almost always more important than high end power, even though peak power figures are all you ever really hear people talk about.

if you have a turbo, and you can create a custom ecu map, lowering back pressure a lot can be a great thing (running higher boost is possible). on an N/A car running a standard map it is rarely beneficial to lower the back pressure by more than a little bit.

from what i've heard supersprint exhausts work well, sportex ones do not.

Thanks guys. Tbh i dont want to be messing about to much with back pressures to much if possible i would like to get the stainless system as standard as possible i think i will get a quote from powerflow ive gone to these guys so far http://www.longlife.co.uk and they quoted me £299 including vat and fitting they say there it is all system built according to how i want it sound etc but i will definitely check out powerflow thanks for all the help

another option i just thought of!

if its only the back box that is rusting, why not chop it off and fit a stainless universal backbox, leaving the rest of the cat back part in place.

almost any backbox is universal if you're happy to weld mounts on in the right place. i've had people bring me all sorts of crazy backboxes, and despite my advice they usually say "i dont care how, just make it fit". its always worked out nicely in the end.

only changing the backbox should not have any great effect on backpressure because the middle box will still be there, and the pipework will be the original diameter. plus it will be cheaper.

for example you could easily bodge this supersprint one on your car: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiat-Alfa-Lan...6QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10382QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I still dont get why he cant just get a new one through the warranty, surely even the motorfactor ones come with 6 months or something, hell there parts certainly do, its not like your buying them 2nd hand or out the back of a skip or something.

One thing I'd like to add here is that the reason why your previous systems rot so quickly might be that there are two types of aftermarket exhausts.

One is sheer, typical, non-protected sheet metal which falls apart in a year-ish timespan (depending on conditions). Mine lasted a bit over a year in an Uno. But it is cheap - 1/5th of Fiat price (in Poland).

The other is aluminium-covered sheet (theortically identical to factory made). Lasts 3 to 4 years (3 years in my case). 1/3 to 1/2 of Fiat price.

They probably having me on like ant says but when i went back they said that the warranty wouldn't cover it because there is no proof i fitted it proffessionally so therefore it was priobably rusting due to incorrect fitment but hey i couldnt be bothered to argue with the guys there i will just get a stainless one fitted and i should be ok from there.

Back