Technical Exhaust problems

Currently reading:
Technical Exhaust problems

Precious

Or at least I think :confused:

Hello everyone, only just stumbled on this site today I hope someone can help. Anyway lets get down to business.

I have only owned my car now for 2 months and already the rear silencer box has fallen off and the car shudders when stationary while engine is on. I had the rear silencer box replaced but by the next day I could hear rattling and a scraping sound when setting off. I took it back to where it was fitted and they double check the exhaust and said the rattling noise was due to the spare tyre being lose. Since then I can still hear a scraping sound coming from the back when setting off. Apart from that it drives fine. Can anyone help me, or has anyone experienced similar problems.

My advise would be to take it to another garage for a second, unbiased opinion.

But at a guess id say it might be rattling against a heatshield.

i have had this exact problem. its a common fault if you have back box put on that is not an offical fiat box. when car is cold lay on floor near back and look at the back box. you will see the large rear axel passing behind it. basically if new back box is not put on exactly coreect the barrel rubs on the axel and makes a metal scrape niose. this happens over large bumps or when pulling away as back of car goes down slightly bringing axel into contact with box. you should be bale to get your fingers between the barrel and the axle with a little bit of room to play. if its been rubbing lots you may even notice some scrape marks on the black axle paint.

if it is this it may be able to be sorted by adjusting the location of the exhaust by moving it slightly to the back a bit more.

ps dont forget make sure its cold before you startng groping teh exhaust

Yeah.. i was gonna say the obvious.. get on all four's and check while some one sets off slowly :D or simply.. get some one to jump around in the car while you watch udnerneath :D

Thanks for all your help especially thefishdude much appreciated (y)

I’m gonna try what you said and if that doesn’t work I’m gonna take it back to kwik-fit and demand they sort it out.

Back