Technical Exhaust problem mk2 punto?

Currently reading:
Technical Exhaust problem mk2 punto?

Crazedscot

Bit of a generic question but since it's a Punto i thought i'd chuck it in here. I suspect I have some kind of exhaust problem, was driving to Glasgow and my Punto started struggling to accelerate and the engine started making a terrible rumbling/growling sound (i'm deaf, so couldn't really tell you exactly where it's coming from). There's water coming from the exhaust though I don't know if that's relevant. My immediate thought was back to my first car which had a similiar problem which turned out to be a collapsed catalytic converter which was smothering the engine.

Is it likely an exhaust problem causing the decreased acceleration/power and the tortured engine noises? And if so, will I have damaged the engine by driving it home - I had no choice, I live in the middle of nowhere and work a twilight shift. Local garage doesn't open at weekends, and i'm not keen on driving it into town if it's damaging the engine to do so, so i'm hoping someone here might at least be able to give me a general yes or no.

Sounds more like a headgasket failure, misfire or a leaking exhaust.

Have you looked under the car at the exhaust for obvious leaks?
Headgasket will use excess coolant and the fan will kick in regularly.
Misfire will make the car 'stuttery' to drive and may sound bad if it's a big misfire (e.g. coil failed).

Last edited:
Sounds more like a headgasket failure, misfire or a leaking exhaust.

Have you looked under the car at the exhaust for obvious leaks?
Headgasket will use excess coolant and the fan will kick in regularly.
Misfire will make the car 'stuttery' to drive and may sound bad if it's a big misfire (e.g. coil failed).

It's far too late to be crawling under my car to check for leaks, i'll look first thing in the morning, what should I be looking for exactly? I forgot to add there's no gases coming from the exhaust pipe, hence me assuming exhaust system problems, I can't tell where the gases are going, if anywhere. Misfire doesn't sound likely from your description, it isn't stuttery at all, just rough and slow to acclerate, in fact it's the actual process of accleration that's making it make the worst of the noise. Does that support the headgasket theory? That's going to be expensive to fix if it's that isn't it :(

If nothing is coming out of the exhaust I'll bet that the flexi is ripped or there's a big hole in the exhaust somewhere.

Start the car and get under, feel and listen for leaks.

this has happened to mine, really growling sounds but no performance and getting steadily worse, was a collapsed cat, eventually got to the point of not moving no power, new cat(y)

If nothing is coming out of the exhaust I'll bet that the flexi is ripped or there's a big hole in the exhaust somewhere.

Start the car and get under, feel and listen for leaks.

Right, just been under the car, there was some initial exhaust gas when I started it up and there was some coming from somewhere under the engine as well, but then I revved the engine a bit, got under the car and couldn't see any gases coming from anywhere, there's no obvious leaks or physical damage to the exhaust. Am I likely looking at a collapsed cat then? Any estimates on how much that'll set me back, I remember having to pay £220 for one for a bloody Matiz.

All sorted, seems i'm blind as well as deaf. The exhaust was cracked where it connects to the catalytic converter, and was pretty badly corroded at most points where it was bolted together, with a few holes towards the end of it. Cost me £440 at National, the lesser of two evils available to me on a Saturday, i'm sure I don't need to specify which the other one was. That included a replacement lambda sensor, seems they can't avoid the mounting threads being stripped when they remove them, plus it looked like it had been burnt out or something anyway.

I still don't really understand how a cracked exhaust causes the issues I had, particularly the acceleration? Also, the new exhaust's muffler's mounted vertically, is this normal?

Back