Ever happened to you?

Currently reading:
Ever happened to you?

Kier

Prominent member
Was at work today, someone brought £30 of petrol.

Pretty sure that they gave me £30, a £20 and a £10 note, however, they said that they gave me £40, two £20's, never really had that problem before, so wasn't sure what I needed to do, guy was saying that he wasn't leaving until he had the £10.

Phoned the duty manager, while we where waiting he kept muttering under his breath about how he had done a 14 hour day, because of the credit crunch he didn't have any money, and needed the £10.

When the managers came over, he was going on about how he wasn't leaving without his money, but soon changed his mind, gave them a business card, and wanted us to call tonight to say he can get his money back.

Think this is the first time I've ever had real problems from a customer (Was generally aggressive, calling me most names under the sun, moaning about how long it was taking etc).

At the time I was sure that he gave me £30, and when a bit later on I saw in the till I had a £20 note in with the £10's, but didn't before, made me think even more that he was trying it on.

Another thing I found kinda funny, the guy was saying what happens if I had given (or taken) £10 from the till and was using his money to cover it up, which makes me again believe he was trying it on.

If you where the guy, would you go off on one? Or would you leave your details, so we can check the tills, and if need be get the money back to?

Has anyone tried to get money in a similar way? I've been watching 'The Real Hustle' a lot lately, and its always amazed me how they get away with things, just by putting doubt into peoples heads (I was starting to doubt myself, but glad that I did what I did). Going to speak to my manager to find out whats happened. Was thinking about maybe apologising to the guy, however, after the way he spoke to me, thats gone out the window now lol.

Surely if there was a £20 in with the £10s it meant he was telling the truth?

(ie you thought it was a tenner so put it with the 10s but actually it was a 20...)

Thats what I thought to start with, but there would have been two £20's in there, as it was right in the middle of them the bunch of £10's.

Ben, you a night owl too mate? Or different time zone?

I work in a newsagents and we have a drop safe under the counter. Every £20 goes straight in there after a transaction so I can proove how many £20's a customer gives me cos only theirs will be in the till.

Had it happen to us the other day, my colleague serving, and we just told the bloke to leave his details and we would ring him the following day after we cashed up. He didn't really have a choice, turned out he was right and we apolgised and gave him his money.

Everybody makes mistakes, people just need to learn to accept that. Instead of swearing and ranting off :rolleyes:

Thats what I thought to start with, but there would have been two £20's in there, as it was right in the middle of them the bunch of £10's.

No as surly you would have put one £20 in with £20's as you thought it was a £20, and the other in with the £10 because you thought it was £10 ;)

Sounds like he was right.

Had similar happen a few times before.

Normally just take till off, and get it checked out back against till total etc.

No as surly you would have put one £20 in with £20's as you thought it was a £20, and the other in with the £10 because you thought it was £10 ;)

Normally just take till off, and get it checked out back against till total etc.

:yeahthat:

yeah... i used to work in a bookshop and someone said i gave the wrong change and then while the til wasn could he swap a 10 for 2 fives etc... trying the old switcheroo/scam to confuse me. in the end he left with no money and i was £20 up. don't play a player:cool:

yeah... i used to work in a bookshop and someone said i gave the wrong change and then while the til wasn could he swap a 10 for 2 fives etc... trying the old switcheroo/scam to confuse me. in the end he left with no money and i was £20 up. don't play a player:cool:

I had someone try this last weekend, and this was after he tried to buy some pork with a reduced lable peeled off of some liver, so suspisions were already raised.

Checked CCTV when we were closed and all I can say is some of the older generation in this country are not as innocent as they make out :mad:

Had this a lot in as a bar supervisor in a Sheffield nighclub. Customer would say they paid with a 20, you got a tenner. We'd say there was nothing we could do until the end of the night when we invite them to come by and we will check the till.

Only once did the person come back, and on that occasion we were exactly a tenner up. Appologised, refunded them the tenner, gave them some vouchers for free drinks and they were on their way.

The rest were probably just trying it on.

I've had the exact same thing in my cafe.
A woman cam in and payed for a calipso drink.
She gave me a £10 so I gave her, her change
And she said "I gave you a £20 note"
I was thinking, eh, I'm pretty sure you didn't. And she was so adament she did.
So I opened the till to look and realised I just gave all my £20's to my boss as we have to do now and again so if she did give me a £20 it would be in the tray but there was no £20! I was like :D:D Big grin in her face. She was so funked off and stormed off

Ah yeah, see what you mean now, kinda anyway. But I'm sure that there was a £10, as £20's and £10's dont look similar at all really. Plus, I think I normally put them both in at the same time if that makes sense. I've got rather confused myself now lol.

Edit - Forgot to mention, I'm not able to check the tills, we count them every 2 hours, and then send them to the cash office, and they sort it all out there.

Last edited:
Why didnt you just cash up the till :confused: Surely if you up by any amount near a 10er then he was right. If the till is near spot on then he is spouting BS.

Why didnt you just cash up the till :confused: Surely if you up by any amount near a 10er then he was right. If the till is near spot on then he is spouting BS.

I dont know how to, I have no idea what the numbers mean on the till check reading, as I said before, I count the money, write it down, do a till check reading (not sure what this is, never really looked at it), then send it down to the cash office, where they make sure its all upto date etc. If I knew how to, and what I was looking for, I would have done it there.

When I were a lad (in the days of rickets and kids up chimneys)
I worked in a store for a while. The tills had a flat plate between the key pad and the drawer. We were told to take the note from the customer and put it on the plate, not in the till. Count the change out,with money from the till, and give it to the customer. Then put the money in the till last. That way if the customer doubts you, the note is still there to be seen. Any help?

When I were a lad (in the days of rickets and kids up chimneys)
I worked in a store for a while. The tills had a flat plate between the key pad and the drawer. We were told to take the note from the customer and put it on the plate, not in the till. Count the change out,with money from the till, and give it to the customer. Then put the money in the till last. That way if the customer doubts you, the note is still there to be seen. Any help?

One of our Lads is being trained as a barman & till trained and that's what my missus instructed him to do. Confirm to the customer what they have handed over in notes and put it on top of the till draw shelf, hand over and count out the change, so if there are any disputes the notes given are still there to be seen... she's been in the pub trade 28 years :D

Last edited:
Back