Technical ESC light and Flashing Hazards

Currently reading:
Technical ESC light and Flashing Hazards

mikegml

So, I pulled up to park on a slight incline this afternoon and the 'ESC' light suddenly came on with 'hill holder not available, see handbook' warning? The light is still on.

About half an hour later going home I rounded a corner quite fast and had to brake quite hard for a roadworks traffic queue, as I braked the hazards flashed in rapid succession several times till I eased off the brakes! Where did that one come from? Don't know if the ESC and flashing hazards are related?

I've done a bit of research and it seems a brake sensor switch connected to the brake pedal is a likely culprit for the ESC light.

Anyone else got any other info?

if the ESC light is flashing while driving is normally an indication you are driving too fast for the road conditions and the system is helping you not to crash

Last edited:
Reactions: irc
hazards are emergency braking warning system and is a feature not a fault. Didn't know any169s had this features

Last edited:
So, I pulled up to park on a slight incline this afternoon and the 'ESC' light suddenly came on with 'hill holder not available, see handbook' warning? The light is still on.
this bit needs fixing

start with the easy checks

are all the bulbs coming on, a mirror handy or back up to a large shop window

are the battery volts okay

yes brake switch can cause this,

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers. I'll go through the checks. It's a 2013 twin-air trekking.

ESC is definitely not on normally while driving, never seen it before except on start up when all icons light up, I must be driving more careful than I thought.

I actually liked the 'flashing hazards' it def' got the attention of the car behind who was also caught out by the light. Didn't know it was a normal feature?

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers. I'll go through the checks. It's a 2013 twin-air trekking.
This section is for up to 2012 which doesn't include the twin air
you might find better help in the post 2012 section of the forum

although they share the same DNA they are also subtly different.

S*** I thought I was in the 2012 forum!

I've opened a thread in the correct forum, link below. However, the info I've had I think aplies to mine anyway pretty much.

S*** I thought I was in the 2012 forum!

I've opened a thread in the correct forum, link below. However, the info I've had I think aplies to mine anyway pretty much.

correct

and most 500 and later punto grande are basically the same, so most thing carry over fine

good luck fixing your car. It is normally a simple fix. Bulb or switch.

I thought most fiats had for for the last 15years or so certainly some of the puntos had them
be handy if someone could post standard features by year along with optional extras

my 1.1 on 06 plate and 1.2 on 05 plate don't have it or stability program

my 1.2 on 11 plate I have no idea never checked, There's no mention in the 2010 owners manual so would guess not.

seem Fiat on the Active, Dynamic ranges took most of the bells and whistles off. I believe ESC was an optional extra.

I find it strange that its not compulsory to flash the hazards or the high brake light when braking hard, its after all just software and no extra cost.

Back