Technical ESC disable HELP

Currently reading:
Technical ESC disable HELP

Hi guys, I am currently modifying my 2020 Fiat panda cross twin air. I love the car so far, But one thing that really annoys me is Fiat decided to not add the ESC button, So i do not have the option of removing traction control for full power when i am off-roading or when i want to have fun./
Before anyone replies with the " but why, its there to help" its beside the point. This is the first car i have ever owned where the manufacturer has decided we do not need full control over the vehicle we purchased..
I know that the traction control works with the abs to help stability and traction in offroad environment. ( its a great system, which has helped me numerous times in the snow). Its an amazing system actually. the way it applies break to one tyre only to bring the car back after losing traction in the snow is amazing..
Neverthless...

Has anybody figured out a way to disable ESC ( traction control) / I am so annoyed that we do not have this option, i am contemplating selling the car and buying another..
Whoever in Fiat thought it was a good idea Not to give us full control is beyond me.

Has anybody removed ESC. ?
Has anybody added a switch which cuts current to a certain sensor, which then forces the ecu to disable traction control?
Would anybody know what sensor i could disconnect?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I must be the only person in the world who finds this annoying and silly. I cannot find a solution anywhere online.

thanks guys,

I think there is a button called ASR, its located next to our eco button on the cross. This might be for the non 4x4 versions.
I would like something similar.
I have done some more search, aparently using mulitecuscan tool, can enable a certain mode which disable traction control. and re enables after a few ignition key resets.. i am still looking into it.

@SaltyBill On the 4x4 models (the ‘regular’ and the Cross), forcing 4-wheel drive disables the torque-limiting part of the the ESC system (ie it turns of 'ASR' -- Anti Slip Regulation). On the regular 4x4 this done by pressing the ELD button on the centre console behind the gear lever. On the Cross, turning the ‘drive mode dial’ to the ‘off-road’ setting has exactly the same effect (and, exactly the same as the non-cross model, where, in addition to turning off the ESC, it also forces the rear drive to engage and allows the ELD to operate if it needs to. I distantly remember reading it also alters the throttle response).

This behaviour is described in the car’s owner’s instruction book... [Edited - having found the handbook section online] see image below from the 2018 edition which confirms the ASR part of the ESC system is disabled when the ELD button is pressed (4x4 model) or Offroad mode is selected (Cross 4x4). When the ELD/Offroad mode is selected it also disables the stop/start system and (if fitted) the City Brake Control.

1643152469825.png

Last edited:
I just came back from a test driver on the snow covered hill next door to my house. I can confirm the panda will sit on the spot with all wheels spinning in first or 2nd while on full throttle. The ESC light does not come on at all and i do not lose any power.. Excellent.. After a few seconds the ELD light starts to flash and the car tries to get it self unstuck, by using the brakes on each tyre.. Amazing system, and i will now start my offroad build. I am keeping this car.

Ohh and another thing, I have driven in heavy snow, and lost control of the car, while driving allitle to fast for the conditions ( we are talking 5km/h over the maximum grip of the tyre, not speeding like a madman... ) In mountain roads, where no other car is in sight. Just having fun.
The ESC system is amazing, as soon as it detects oversteer, it only brakes the opposite front tyre, This instantly corrects the car and straightens it up. This is impossible to do by a human as we do not have control of just one tyre ... This has saved me numerous times from spinning the panda or ending up into the crash barrier.
The panda's ESC is absolutely amazing. I cant say much of other brands as i have only tested this cars ESC. Im guessing they are the same, and i believe should be implemented on all models and makes ..

People that have driven in heavy snow know that the difference between turning the corner or doing a 360 is just a touch of the accelerator away.. You do not have to be speeding at all. I am talking at 30km/h and under.

I also run Michelin x-ice snow tyres. So my grip is better than most in rough conditions./ i could not recommend these tyres enough.

Its amazing what you can learn by reading the instruction book :)
Pleased that this means you'll be keeping the car. They are great little beasts.

ESC is standard on all cars now (has been a few years), and the key safety elements of the system cannot be turned off (on any make/model) -- although most allow at least the traction control/anti slip part to be disabled to varying degrees. The very most recent cars, in order to get a full five star EuroNCAP rating, also have to have automatic emergency braking and lane departure control systems. And from a date very soon (I believe July this year) be limited to a maximum speed too (and even to have automatic speed limit detection, via GPS or sign recognition cameras)

Last edited:
I played around with ESC a bit last winter using the handbrake to initiate drifts. It is very effective at straightening the vehicle up so I've have to unlearn the armfuls of opposite lock approach to correcting skids and learn to just let it sort itself out.

So is it the case that when the ELD automatically deactivates (i.e. above 50 km/h), the ESC is automatically reactivated?

So is it the case that when the ELD automatically deactivates (i.e. above 50 km/h), the ESC is automatically reactivated?
It's not clear if it does or not - although perhaps is implied. (Note: to be accurate - or nit-picking - the ESC is not deactivated, only the anti-wheel-spin part is. The 'catch the car if its heading off the road' parts remain active at all times)

Last edited:
It's not clear if it does or not - although perhaps is implied. (Note: to be accurate - or nit-picking - the ESC is not deactivated, only the anti-wheel-spin part is. The 'catch the car if its heading off the road' parts remain active at all times)
Reassuring to know, although I suspect someone who wants to be able to disable all driver aids (a la Top Gear, etc) will be disappointed.

I played around with ESC a bit last winter using the handbrake to initiate drifts. It is very effective at straightening the vehicle up so I've have to unlearn the armfuls of opposite lock approach to correcting skids and learn to just let it sort itself out.
I know exactly what you mean, when it first happened to me i was in a nice long right hand slide in heavy recent snow on the road and i thought to myself, ok here we go, lets see where i end up.. But instead the left front brakes suddenly , same sound as ABS, and the car come straight back on course.. Blew my mind the first time ( and this is when the foot is off the brake, i never touch the brake during a slide)

Back