Engine swaps and engine codes (V5C)

Currently reading:
Engine swaps and engine codes (V5C)

Hello peeps,

Not sure if this is the right place, if not report it and/or move it :)

I have been doing an engine conversion for a while now (3 weeks off the road) and am getting close to starting, so figured I best know what to do about TAX, MOT, insurance, log books and legalities in general :)

I think I have to declare the new engine code to the DVLA so I can get the V5C changed, however, until tonight I didn't think you needed the engine number :eek:

The number on mine is corroded and as much as I've tried, seems to be illegible (mainly the first few numbers)

Does anyone know if I HAVE to declare the new number, any work arounds, or exactly what I need to do :)

I've never done this before I am dreading the fact I may have to swap the engine (£350 plus LOTS of work)

Cheers for any help (y)

Kristian

There are small "bubbles" of rust there and i'm worried if i go too far them may just wear off with nothing underneath, then I'm f**ked lol.

I think I may make a sticky at some point, making sure people are aware of such things....unless it doesn't have to be done and then I'm ok.

I will try some more techniques to clear it up but just looking for more ideas.

Was yours quite legible?

Not going to help but why on earth do they put an important number lightly stamped on a cast iron block :confused: :bang:

Cheers,

Kristian

There are small "bubbles" of rust there and i'm worried if i go too far them may just wear off with nothing underneath, then I'm f**ked lol.

I think I may make a sticky at some point, making sure people are aware of such things....unless it doesn't have to be done and then I'm ok.

I will try some more techniques to clear it up but just looking for more ideas.

Was yours quite legible?

Not going to help but why on earth do they put an important number lightly stamped on a cast iron block :confused: :bang:

Cheers,

Kristian

mine was pretty much invisible to start with, but using some wd40 and 800 wet'n'dry, and the odd brush with a fine wire brush sorted it out. try some rust eater or use some more wd40 and a metal scourer. The first number is a symbol therefore it isn't important anyway :)

If its really that bad, then make an educated guess... chances are if anyone was ever to check in the future they'd have the same problem as you and therfore take your word for it anyway as long as all the others match up. They'd be more interested in the chassis number anyway rather than the engine number. So don't worry too much about it. :)

That's a good point, i just hope they don't keep them all on a big database ;)

Out of curiosity, how many digits is your number? Mine is:

0739XXX where the X's are digits removed for security.

Box 25 of the V5 provides up to 20 spaces though.

I guess I am looking for a 7 digit number, but confirmation will be good :)

Kristian

That's a good point, i just hope they don't keep them all on a big database ;)

Out of curiosity, how many digits is your number? Mine is:

0739XXX where the X's are digits removed for security.

Box 25 of the V5 provides up to 20 spaces though.

I guess I am looking for a 7 digit number, but confirmation will be good :)

Kristian

well even if you had the full correct number, it still belonged to another car at one point and wont neccessarily have been released ;)

It was 8 numbers iirc, but may well have been 7. I cant check as DVLA still have my logbook :(

Yay, it wsa a bit tricky and took some cleaning and funny angles of light but I def have it all (y)

It's format is:

*0123456*

so its 7 characters long. Now I can get the V5 sent off with the new cubic capaciy and engine number.

I don't know the weight differrence so won't bother including it, its going to be very little anyway.

Also cancelled my insurance today as Admiral wouldn't insure an engine mod, so will have to start looking around at a few other companies ;)

Cheers for you help everyone :)

Kristian

Nice avatar, I know what the symbol signifies so that makes at least 2 of us, assuming of course you do (y) :D

I didn't know before, just a cool symbol that poped up when i did a google image search for "explosion" but I do now :)

Is that your understanding of it as well?

Kristian

Ah knew I'd seen that elsewhere, think it's on the massive explosion proof electromagnetic brakes fitted on oil rigs, that happen to be made and sold where my stepdad works.

Yeah.....In simple terms it indicates that certain pieces of electro-mechincal equipment, motors, generators, brakes, light fittings, switchgear etc have been designed for and are suitable for use in hazardous (potentialy explosive) areas.
Look closely next time you fill your car up and you will see the symbol somewhere on the pump.
If you want to know more do a search on ATEX regulations.

Back