Engine swap

Currently reading:
Engine swap

C

CHRIS

LOOKING AT FITTING A 1.6 ENGINE INTO MY BRAVA HAS A 1.4 AT MIN HOW DIFFICULT IS IT? AS IVE GOT A PRICE £205 IS THAT GOOD? THANKS

title added

Re: Untitled

Turn caps lock off!

You'll need the fuel system, wiring loom, ECU, gearbox, driveshafts etc.....

probably easier and cheaper to buy a 1.6 sx....

touble is any engine change is classed as a mod as far as the insurance are concerned. In the long run cheaper and easier to change car

Yup, I agree with Cynic-al. My engine was changed (like for like - 1.8 for 1.8 just newer) and the insurance went up summat like £40 I think per year.

Ins.

in15.jpg

Dec '97 1.8GT / 110,000 miles (New engine @ 77,000)
Current Status: Running well but no window control on passenger side!

errr ins they cant do that... other wise they might aswell say ur car has been in for a service and has a new filter so well charge u a little extra.... like for like is no charge..

smee

anyone know guide price for a p reg 1.4 brava sx good nick 69k? also price for a 1.6 on a r or s reg thanks

Like for like bearing in mind the replacement engine is newer with considerably less miles than the one taken out - if only by a little amount, it alters the value of the car.

Ins.

in15.jpg

Dec '97 1.8GT / 110,000 miles (New engine @ 77,000)
Current Status: Running well but no window control on passenger side!

also chassis and engine number no longer match, it's more paper work for them to enter the details so they can charge for that, the new engine may be out of a mk2, the old car may be a mk1, which i believe is a slightly different engine. And, at the end of the day, it is classed as a modification.

If the old engine broke and the garage put a new one in (but the same) personally i wouldn't mention it, if the insurance ever questioned it i would say "it broke, i took it to a garage, it came back fixed". But thats just me

You fill out the V5 and send it off to the DVLA with the new engine number.